• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,527 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

application of vaseline to compensate for missing lamination

This is so absurd, it's laughable doh! I've encountered all sorts of funky amateur resto attempts on paperbacks - mostly the usual suspects like marker hits on color losses and tape and bad re-glue jobs.

So I had to actually go and watch that video. While I would not do or recommend any of the color touch techniques they applied (To an LA Bantam Shadow Picture cover no less :frown: ) The vaseline might not be a terrible idea, if they are saying it is effective in removing the residue of lost lamination, AND it would leave no odor. From Westy's post I thought they were suggesting the vaseline sheen would replace the sheen of the missing laminate. Missing laminate often leaves a dull residue from the long-dried lamination glue and can look bad enough that I could see trying to clean it off. The microwave "trick" to soften glue to correct spine lean is interesting - but I keep seeing visions of a Gremlin exploding in the microwave lol.

My concern is that the petroleum in the vaseline would soak into the cover and won’t come out.  To remove old glue I think I’d try something like a pure alcohol that quickly evaporated.  Their techniques were hit and miss. I wouldn’t do anything that wasn’t reversible unless the book is truly horrible. 

29 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Quote worthy copy of a great classic bondage cover. I've got some mail call notifications in my email so hopefully i'll be posting a bit later :)

I’ve been on a buying jag lately too. I spoke to a book seller today who told me his sales have tripled due to Covid. Springtime is usually slow since people are outside...but not this spring. The seasonality aspect is good info to know for future reference. 

5 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

My concern is that the petroleum in the vaseline would soak into the cover and won’t come out.  To remove old glue I think I’d try something like a pure alcohol that quickly evaporated.  Their techniques were hit and miss. I wouldn’t do anything that wasn’t reversible unless the book is truly horrible. 

I'm reminded of a seller of Grosset & Dunlap series books, like Nancy Drew, who was notorious for using markers to re-apply edge stains to the text blocks.  Way too much childish stuff like that.  By the way, if you have a glossy hardcover like the Random House Beginner Books or Dr. Seuss large format, isopropyl alcohol does a nice job of removing most marker (like a stray mark, for example).  But you have to be careful with glossy paperback covers -- I once had one become slightly dull in the spot that needed attention.

58 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I love 'em but it's not all about them. I love the moody art covers like the Marchetti, Binger and Meese on those McBain books.

Here's a couple sweet digests that came in today that are GGA but in the more moody style...

Rudolph Belarski

20200520_192152.thumb.jpg.cbdf3502ef651a21d817d37d89ad611e.jpg

George Gross

20200520_192215.thumb.jpg.b42e877643f0cf09c69d5e8ca935a667.jpg

and Paul Kresse

20200520_192239.thumb.jpg.b379a4c9499472301bac36c62d646382.jpg

Wow the use of lighting in those paintings is amazing. I’d love to see the actual paintings in real life. That’s like Rembrandt stuff right there.

54 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

This working from home thing is giving me waaaay too much time to hunt the interwebs for paperbacks, but i've actually dug out a few great bargains.

I've never owned a copy of Deadly Streets although it has always been on my want list. I've thrown dozens of thrill bids but nice copies have always been bid up too much but I threw a thrill bid at this and for once no one who cares must've seen it so I got it for a relative song. It's a centerpiece of any JD collection. (P.S. you did not overpay for that Doll's Trunk... very tough that nice)

20200520_192305.thumb.jpg.0dd2721faf7729303bffde3cef758362.jpg

Very nice. I pulled the trigger on a couple of JD books myself. They are my first ones. I’ll save those for when I receive them. One of them is also an Ellison. I think your Deadly Streets just migrated to my want list...I’ve been living on a EBay lately and I’ve never seen one...my kind of book. 

3 hours ago, damonwad said:

No scantily clad ladies but I still enjoy these 87th Precinct books.

All the covers are scenes from the book.

1163437215_Mugger(front).thumb.JPG.af706d4f13baf584ea5d599f958ebc32.JPG

As comic guys we tend to fixate on hypodermic covers, but that Mugger cover is bad azz!  I have a weakness for the use of green on bad guys but then he’s skulking next to a garbage can...that just sends it!  What a cringy lowlife. 

4 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

This working from home thing is giving me waaaay too much time to hunt the interwebs for paperbacks, but i've actually dug out a few great bargains.

I've never owned a copy of Deadly Streets although it has always been on my want list. I've thrown dozens of thrill bids but nice copies have always been bid up too much but I threw a thrill bid at this and for once no one who cares must've seen it so I got it for a relative song. It's a centerpiece of any JD collection. (P.S. you did not overpay for that Doll's Trunk... very tough that nice)

20200520_192305.thumb.jpg.0dd2721faf7729303bffde3cef758362.jpg

Also highly desirable in any Ellison collection!  I have the Pyramid edition from the 70's but would love to get the original.

3 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Wow the use of lighting in those paintings is amazing. I’d love to see the actual paintings in real life. That’s like Rembrandt stuff right there.

These guys could paint!  I love the floorboards at Ruby's Place... you could hear them creak... they're seedy perfect... They had so much more canvas to work with on the digests.