• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,801 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:34 PM, Westy Steve said:

Not sure I may have overpaid a tad for this but it’s just so cool.  Now I have to sneak it past my wife. 

49BA496F-306C-41A7-9332-83DCA9CC427B.jpeg

Hey, I was reading an online article about this book.  And it pointed out that Belarski did a similar cover to a pulp magazine seen here:

http://piercespicturepalace.blogspot.com/2009/02/detective-novels-magazine-december-1943.html

After tooling around the internet, I found another example where Belarski borrowed from his previous pulp work to do book covers.  Unfortunately I can't show it to you because that particular pulp sold on ebay.  Anyone have other examples of this kind of thing?

3 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Hey, I was reading an online article about this book.  And it pointed out that Belarski did a similar cover to a pulp magazine seen here:

http://piercespicturepalace.blogspot.com/2009/02/detective-novels-magazine-december-1943.html

After tooling around the internet, I found another example where Belarski borrowed from his previous pulp work to do book covers.  Unfortunately I can't show it to you because that particular pulp sold on ebay.  Anyone have other examples of this kind of thing?

I posted a link a few pages back to a thread with loads of swipes between the paperbacks and comics but the link is busted now. As to Belarski specifically, i've seen a bunch of  Popular Library covers that started as pulp covers. I wouldn't know if he owned the rights and it was him re-working them or the publisher re-using and re-touching them.

8 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I posted a link a few pages back to a thread with loads of swipes between the paperbacks and comics but the link is busted now. As to Belarski specifically, i've seen a bunch of  Popular Library covers that started as pulp covers. I wouldn't know if he owned the rights and it was him re-working them or the publisher re-using and re-touching them.

Thanks. Things that didn’t seem important to me several pages back are becoming more important as my education continues. :-) I’m definitely interested in obtaining matched sets of some of these examples. If anybody cares to show theirs I’d love to see them. 

Edited by Westy Steve

3 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

There are quite a few Pulp covers that were used on more than one title and also a handful that are re-used but slightly modified... I really should take notes when I see one. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/22/2020 at 8:32 AM, Westy Steve said:

It looks like the same cover, but partially repainted it to make it more titillating. 

I took a quick look on the interwebs for some of those Belarski re-uses. There are a ton of them actually.

Popular-Detective-October-1943-600x846.jpg.26b28b9319f206bf7bc4e164fb727092.jpg

2067358115_DeathAtSea.thumb.jpg.13702edebcbf898ad27fc2173051a254.jpg

Thrilling-Detective-August-1949-600x814.jpg.30b2f01b29f895217b8f6d504644529e.jpg

FFWeapons.thumb.jpg.180e5951591576c9af76035428081236.jpg

419346150_mysterybook.thumb.jpg.2ed9b8e458dc5a493970ac382c7a52a2.jpg

Rudolph-Belarski-The-Hangmans-Whip.jpg.5ad0988aa0a00d991b2a75585fe024d9.jpg

Thrilling-Detective-1945-November-600x800.jpg.211ed1b0660e0119d3b3f5b1838b454c.jpg

Pattern.jpg.aebd467df8f2c4c92fb1ddef412c83af.jpg

This was 5 minutes of searching Google for Belarski pulp covers - it helps that i've seen so many Pop Libs in my time so when I see a pulp cover that looks familiar I know there's a Pop with it