• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,865 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

I don't have any original paperback art but I have a couple of large format original advertisements for vintage Bantam Books hanging outside my mancave. Got them in the early "wild west" days of ebay.

20200630_094549.thumb.jpg.fb76e1b4c049a786f720f6279aabe4f0.jpg

20200630_094749.thumb.jpg.a587ceee7d4ba399c3b7a67437f84d7c.jpg

20200630_012749.thumb.jpg.1df64a7aadcca376c01ae487337ed77a.jpg

Those are sweet. They must be really rare. 

You guys inspired me to dip my toe into art, so I’m negotiating on some prelim sketches as an early birthday present. . Hopefully more news later. 

8 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Those are sweet. They must be really rare. 

You guys inspired me to dip my toe into art, so I’m negotiating on some prelim sketches as an early birthday present. . Hopefully more news later. 

Best of luck!

13 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

OK, now look what you made me do!   I just pulled the trigger on these two Robert Maquire prelims.  The seller bought them from Maquire's daughter directly.  It helps that one provides the name of the book and the other is signed.   Interestingly, when I showed this potential purchase to the wife, she told me she read the book.  Though the book is far later than I collect, it is an early PBO from an author who became notable in the romance genre  (much to my chagrin because buying a nice copy to pair compliment these sketches will be surprisingly more expensive than I thought).   I would like to eventually get something with some color on it, but I've always had a soft spot for pencil work because it's an insight into the artist's method and prelims are cool because they are a sort of "what if".

BD45A79A4FF54073B77D228E75958C0B.jpg

IMG_0208.PNG

Wow! Cool pickups! What size are they?

Edited by Surfing Alien

14 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Wow! Cool pickups!

Thanks.  I feel like I lucked into it.  There was a  Maguire prelim listed on the Comic Art Website (that I didn't buy), but I noticed the seller said he had more prelims in his ad.  So I wrote him, and he offered me these at a price a cheapskate like me could appreciate.  When I went to look up the actual book, I realized the author is kind of a "big deal"...she's written over 150 books and this was her second (first for Avon).  So in a way, these have some cross-over appeal for the author.  I love it when the universe lines up like that.  Not sure how I'll display them, or if my kids will let me. :)

52 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Wow! Cool pickups! What size are they?

They are pretty small. They’re about the size of the actual paperback itself. I’m thinking about cutting the cover off the actual book and displaying them side-by-side in a single picture frame...They give an insight into his  production process, but they also play out like a comic strip of a renaissance couple making out. :-) Based on my kids reaction to them last night,  I’ll have to put it in my room instead of the living room or anything. My kids have no taste.

Edited by Westy Steve

5 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Thanks.  I feel like I lucked into it.  There was a  Maguire prelim listed on the Comic Art Website (that I didn't buy), but I noticed the seller said he had more prelims in his ad.  So I wrote him, and he offered me these at a price a cheapskate like me could appreciate.  When I went to look up the actual book, I realized the author is kind of a "big deal"...she's written over 150 books and this was her second (first for Avon).  So in a way, these have some cross-over appeal for the author.  I love it when the universe lines up like that.  Not sure how I'll display them, or if my kids will let me. :)

You should check her other book early book covers and Avons from the same period - it's a fair bet the other sketch is one or the other or both.

12 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

OK, now look what you made me do!   I just pulled the trigger on these two Robert Maquire prelims.  The seller bought them from Maquire's daughter directly.  It helps that one provides the name of the book and the other is signed.   Interestingly, when I showed this potential purchase to the wife, she told me she read the book.  Though the book is far later than I collect, it is an early PBO from an author who became notable in the romance genre  (much to my chagrin because buying a nice copy to compliment these sketches will be surprisingly more expensive than I thought).   I would like to eventually get something with some color on it, but I've always had a soft spot for pencil work because it's an insight into the artist's method and prelims are cool because they are a sort of "what if".  Plus they're cheaper. :)

BD45A79A4FF54073B77D228E75958C0B.jpg

IMG_0208.PNG

Robert Maquire or Robert Maguire? Either way those are both really nice. 

1 hour ago, The-Collector said:

Robert Maquire or Robert Maguire? Either way those are both really nice. 

Thanks?  Must’ve searched his name 30 times in the last day and a half.  I don’t know what happened there.

15 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Thanks?  Must’ve searched his name 30 times in the last day and a half.  I don’t know what happened there.

What an awesome place to start. Maguire is at the very top of the pile for this kind of art. 

Thanks.  I appreciate all the good advice I've gotten here.  I never thought I'd enjoy collecting any genre more than comics, but the price point relative to the rarity of these items makes it so much more fascinating to me.  It's possible to chase truly rare and desirable items without breaking the bank and you're freed from the concern that you're overspending.  I get a lot of joy out of these purchases. It's just so much fun to swim around in these waters.

22 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

If it's Thursday, I must be receiving a bunch of new books!  And today was not a disappointment.  Found a bunch of books I've been looking for at really cheap prices.  Let's start off, shall we?

I'm a big fan of Fred Fixler's covers for the sleazy Brandon House publisher.  Graphically, highly stylized, but it's the quality of the painting that I really like.  Found these for a song.

IMG_8334.thumb.JPG.f6e8717881833aa2a6982bbf82cc9f32.JPG

Next, I already have a very nice copy of Thurston Scott's classic but this was too good to pass up.  And I've always wanted a nice copy of the Dell Vertigo pb and so...

IMG_5104.thumb.JPG.801b170a42ef4a65b82ef00e0eebe7ca.JPG

And I've been getting into these really early paperbacks from the late 40s and early 50s.  These Dell 10 centers are awfully cute and almost free.

IMG_5214.thumb.JPG.e3458deed7502aaa3704304c9ee1c0a4.JPG

Last, I am determined to close out my Maguire collection.  I've got a lot of them but it's now time to inventory or else, I'll start duplicating (actually, I already have :eek:).  And the Strip Tease Girl, well... (shrug)

IMG_7742.thumb.JPG.686edd505b8239c940f5acb0c0a068ee.JPG

Nice stuff! I really love those Dell dimers.   They are so thin that they look amazing when you put them in comic book mylars with thick backing boards.

Edited by Westy Steve