• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,879 posts in this topic

Just got this unusual item.  It's in a shrink wrap which may or may not have originated with the publisher.  Either that or the retailer wrapped it to protect the innocent.  For the uninitiated, the Brandon House books are very tough in higher grades but the covers are some of the best quality in terms of artwork (no matter what one may think about the subject matter).

IMG_9881.JPG

11 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Sorting some Avons so took a quick group shot in the 200's where the change from the triangle and banner to the classic circle logo occurred in 1949. Avon's color palette was attention grabbing for sure.

20200708_122444.thumb.jpg.a03f41599d45cfa58d4702284c229475.jpg

This is a pretty impressive group shot, SA!  :headbang:

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

This is a pretty impressive group shot, SA!  

Thanks. It's a work in progress... Pocket Books were first, and I love them, but in my mind, the 2nd true mass market paperback company defined the lurid, pulp style cover phenomenon that collectors think of now as vintage paperbacks (thumbsu

Edited by Surfing Alien

6 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I'm pretty sure that's them. I've bought from them and they turn up some great books. That's a shame about the vandalization. I'll make sure to order some more from them.

Same here. They’re grading is very accurate/tight. I’ve got some really nice copies from them.

So they're posting Pulp/paperback swipes over in the new pulp section. I'll leave this here because it's a vintage pb (although listed in Bookery as well as all the Paperback guides). When I bought this pulp I knew there was something familiar about that cover!

20200709_155711.thumb.jpg.2fcf2d30203ee562b7ef773fe58647b8.jpg

The Argosy is Belarski,1939. In '47 someone used it to craft a ride for the evil Harpy/Demon of The City of the Living Dead.

22 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Okay.  Here we go.  Buckle up because I went on something of a spree.  As you look at this, the little game will be "can you guess which book was the most expensive?"  I'll give you a hint as you look and consider.  When I go to a con or a shop that I don't get to often, I usually seek out one or 2 big books, a few mid-level items, and a bunch of small things.  Kind of like a buying pyramid.  Today was no different.

First right answer wins a stack of 5 vintage paperbacks (of which there will be one Maguire cover and one Fixler cover), conditions will vary greatly but all complete, and I will pay shipping so will just need your address.  One guess only per person.  Game ends Saturday night at 9:00 p.m. CST at which time I'll disclose which book was the big boy and how much I paid.  Until then, I won't respond to any of the guesses in the interest of keeping it open for all that want to play.  @Pat Calhoun I'm really interested which of these you feel is most valuable/more difficult (not necessarily highest paid).  All books are in really remarkable condition, FYI.

So... First, I was shocked at the number of high grade Monarchs were there with awesome covers (including many new Maguires!).  One of these is probably a duplicate but who cares!  (shrug)

Here's my haul from those!

IMG_1032.thumb.JPG.8b02bbb9717034e0c842887bf41b3079.JPG

IMG_8605.thumb.JPG.c6a41678e2e2d7151cc8bc8f74fac6e9.JPG

And there was another Monarch that was so cool so I grabbed that as well as a classic Midwood:

IMG_1846.thumb.JPG.5cd52b771f2e4009c48c1af28c6c2102.JPG

Then there were the digests... so many digests... after going into a deep dive, this is what I came up with:

IMG_8491.thumb.JPG.19dde554bb169f19e08ddbc49cc5c632.JPG

IMG_5167.thumb.JPG.e546e8d00f3bf7d292a151e58e92f50d.JPG

IMG_6139.thumb.JPG.69595d21ad3d453d15cf8462ab314328.JPG

Also, I found another nice copy of Gulf Coast Girl at the right price so...

IMG_0291.thumb.JPG.8833cc473a980b090dbb32b04a08c39d.JPG

Then, there were these excellent titles.  The Pyramid is just so inappropriate in today's world.  I'm almost scandalized owning it.  Almost... (actually it's not as bad as another title I have but let's not go there).

IMG_6111.thumb.JPG.bd63e740fdafebb9c9f9d776bdbf6596.JPG

And then last, but certainly not least, these 2 rarely seen titles emerged from the stacks and I had to snap them up.  

IMG_4946.thumb.jpg.792f9ee14b0bcb67dc17ff7cb64108b4.jpg

Good luck, all!  I hope you like this little assortment as much as I do.  So much fun discovering all these new titles!

:whatthe:

You are diving deep and in great directions!

I am def going to support them with some buys (thumbsu

No doubt in my mind that Homicide Hotel is the doozy. A great digest!

47 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

I'm sure Surf knows prices and scarcity better than I. But I was going 'Homicide Hotel'  even before I saw his post as I remember Phantoms being uncommon. The Carnival 'Girl of the Slums' has many virtues as well.

The market is still so unorganized, but, like you, I know Phantoms have always been sought, and then just look at that cover art!

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Good luck, all!  I hope you like this little assortment as much as I do.  So much fun discovering all these new titles!

I haven't been collecting pb's long enough to have any idea which of these is more valuable, but I do appreciate the awesomeness of these great covers in that condition. Great haul.