• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,907 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Buy more bookcases... B|

That was pretty funny!  I'm in the same boat as @frozentundraguy.  My shelves are full and until I come up with a satisfactory solution, my buying has outpaced my storage.  I've been using these kraft paper boxes from Bags Unlimited but I can't say I'm a big fan.  I like what Surfing Alien came up with better.  Anyway if you want to look at the Bags Unlimited boxes, the link is here:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/3820/paperback-storage-box-17-x-11-34-x-15-12-brholds-up-to-150-nbsp-34-wide-paperbacksbr275-lb-test-kraft-corrugated-cardboard

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I've been using these kraft paper boxes from Bags Unlimited but I can't say I'm a big fan.

Those are actually awesome! But my problem with all cardboard boxes is that you can't see through, and once the collection grows and time passes, your mind can't process the labels you put on a box the same way it can a view of the spines.

@Westy Steve As blurry as that image is, it looks like Robert McGinnis' work.

https://robertmcginnis.com/robert-mcginnis-art-that-appeared-on-book-covers#romance

Retraction:  upon looking up a better image of the cover, the signature is not McGinnis' work.  I highly doubt it's Maguire's work, though.

After looking further, I stand corrected.  It's a later variation of Robert Maguire's signature that I haven't seen before.  See these 2 images.  One is a close up of the book in question and the other is a close up of Robert Maguire's later signature.

Screenshot 2020-07-16 20.42.40.png

Maguire.jpg

Edited by Randall Dowling
Retraction/Final Correction

36 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Sweet!  Thanks! Where did you find that oblique picture? I looked on a bunch of sites for a better picture...the book is kind of rare. I have been to the ends of the Internet trying to solve a mystery and you just provided the last piece of the puzzle.

One of my superpowers is internet search.  :blush:

I like to say "It's not what you look for on the internet, it's how you look"  :devil:

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

revisiting moonpool's marvelous post from yesterday - the image of those 2 'K' digests is a superlative evocation of the obscure glories that richly populate the 'GA'. bravo !

2pbs.jpg

Yep!  Those are new to me!  Awesome stuff and in stunning shape!  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

You're really on the hunt for these prelims! :golfclap:

Yeah. I’m gathering up the ones that are in loose hands. I don’t understand why stuff from McGinnis sells for 10 to 15 times more.  Back in the day, Maguire drew women with curves. 

No worries though. I’m on the hunt for some fun paperbacks. I’ll report back later when I gather them up.