• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,864 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

some classic Frazetta covers (the Jongor series is peak Frazetta art, IMO and Black Emperor is just awesome! :D).  And it will be a sad day when I run out of Maguires to add.

It's funny I love Frazetta's book work but when I first started collecting they were too new to really be considered collectible. I guess it's time to re-think that as much of it is 50 yrs old now lol

As for Maguire, you've made some great choices but he did a LOT of covers so carry on! My favorites are these full length poses on the long format books like this Monarch and the Signets.

10 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Another great haul! You are really trying to make a dent in the supply chain! (worship) I have a bunch coming in over the next week so should provide some friendly competition :devil:

Most of the longer digest series like Venus, Cameo etc reprinted later in the series. A few others reprinted in a separate series (Star for Original Novels and Intimate (or Stallion?) for UniBooks I believe.) In most instances the 1st is the one to get although I gladly pick up the reprints if the price/condition crux is right.

I love it, SA!  It's funny you should mention the later imprints as I just picked up one of those from Greg at Dreamhaven and he brought up the same.  I'll post what I picked up later but it was very fruitful!  (thumbsu

On 7/23/2020 at 8:02 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

Gustave and I go back a ways. In 1970-1971 fresh back from my year tour of Europe-Africa-Asia funded by selling my GA collection, at Bargain Books in downtown San Diego where I went to shop for PB SF anthologies, I decided to buy my first non-sfantasy book. Don't have it anymore and using a borrowed image, but what a great choice. And chief among the marvels therein was Flaubert's 'The Legend of St Julian'. I was spellbound from the first sentence as opulence of language and clarity of idea merged into a fantasy novelette of supreme power. I had stepped outside the ghetto and found that fantasy ruled in mainstream literature as well. When I discovered that the story had appeared as a classic reprint in Weird Tales (April 1928) a great circle was completed. Here, from my sweet 1923 Chatto & Windus edition of 'Three Tales', is (art by Robert Diaz de Soria) the moment when Julian confronts the great stag - and vice-versa...

pocketfrench.jpg

greatstag.jpg

Gorgeous!

8 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

All digests, all the time!

Please stay away from the Digests, they're unhealthy for your morals and wallet :baiting:lol

Great selection - The Dream Club is actually a second print as well although a fantastic one because it's a different and somewhat cooler title than the original, Beyond Desire, which moonpool recently posted. Beyond Desire is definitely a tougher find though and moonpool's copy is drool worthy.

5 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

This plastic container has been part of my solution to PB overflow. I hope to replace this soon with the type of storage box used by Surfing Alien. (thumbsu

Old_scifi.JPG

I don't have enough to worry about overflow yet, but I do need to find some good book bags.

Anyone have recommendations for a high quality bag that still has good spine visibility?