• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,857 posts in this topic

FWIW, I had a really awesome conversation with John Knott today.  He's an old school bookseller and has a really great selection with a great website.  It's worth checking out if there are titles you're looking for and his grading is quite good.

https://www.jwkbooks.com

2 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Surf got me going with those two wonderful 'Original' Hallam Whitneys...

whit.jpg

That Brass Monkey just moved up on my list.  I have a few Whittingtons but only Backwoods Tramp from that awesome spread.  Great stuff, Pat!

Edited by Randall Dowling
bad spells

6 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

but the stars are gonna have to align right for the Goodis.

No kidding!  And it's a Maguire cover, no less!

I'm starting to develop a list (in my head) of the 100 most expensive paperbacks/digests.  Scarcity/rarity is something I'm not even close to get a handle on.  But I've seen enough to be able to identify a pretty good list of books that easily sell for more than $200.  

On 8/1/2020 at 6:18 PM, damonwad said:

The first print of House of Flesh is the one with the dog. The 2nd print was 7 months later.

It used to be that the 1st edition 1st print meant everything but cover collecting has made so many later eds/prints highly relevant. Gold Medal did quite a bit of it and Berkley reprinted tons of Avons and other earlies with Maguire and other evocative artists. All the Berkley John Dickson Carr Maguire covers are reprints I think.

8 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

You are on a roll... well into that short set (thumbsu and firing on a bunch of other cool cylinders!

I got my order in from Dreamhaven. It's short but sweet and their grading/description is tight.

Thanks, SA!  Yes, that's my experience with Greg as well.  Very fair, always seems to grade the way he would want to receive.  Beautiful copies of those Croydons!  I have 3 of those, I think.  But not as nice as those.  :headbang: