• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,538 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

here's another entry in Fredric Brown's Ed and Am Hunter (nephew and uncle they work in a carny together then later open a detective agency) series with a wonderful Harry Schaare cover. haven't read it but have high hopes...

0blomo.jpg

I just got a copy of this one last week. I assume it will be a good read too.

4 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Cleaning out my garage and found a couple boxes of old books and paperbacks that I totally forgot about. Mostly stuff that wasn't worth enough to ship when I sold my old collection. Funny, this long box looks more interesting many years later! Theres actually a couple decent books in there!

20200813_175550.thumb.jpg.3805a2dbe3d2357e01ca3f3ef2f3c786.jpg

This 1941 hardcover collection from World Publishing that was in there is very interesting. Aside from some cool stories, the astute collector will recognize that skull :)

20200813_183100.thumb.jpg.7b85eb331b31af81300dd5726b6a0e5d.jpg

It's gotta be great to come across a cool garage find in your own garage. :banana:

1983650442_MurderMysteryMonthlyLogo.JPG.0ede03e83b30ab38a7de33a3e0b2c8f8.JPG

Nice rediscoveries, SA!  As I get older, that seems to happen to me more often.  I've found stacks of comics in closets that I completely forgot about.  More than once... :whatthe:

I got a small sampling of fun in today.  First is a couple of Maguire covers with a similar theme.

IMG_5174.thumb.jpg.e64aeab696a5987c4f99657a62c0750a.jpg 

Next a couple of Avons.  With this version of House of Fury, there's only one left that I don't have.  It's going to cost an arm and a leg but hopefully soon...

IMG_5175.thumb.jpg.fec251e352a84914ff14433af90df85e.jpg

And last, a very sharp copy of a Belarski Pop Library.  Great stuff all around!

IMG_5176.thumb.jpg.0cc8a464272fe9235a6f5c5947601b51.jpg

20 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Good ones, Surf, and as damonwad says- great way to score. Your posting of Candide yesterday (I'll take your second if you get a first) inspired me to push the button on a Voltaire I've long wanted...

prinbab.jpg

It's yours if I get one Pat, but damned if you're not making me go look at my hardcovers 🤣

Books are beautiful :headbang:

45 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Nice rediscoveries, SA!  As I get older, that seems to happen to me more often.  I've found stacks of comics in closets that I completely forgot about.  More than once... :whatthe:

The Curse Of The Collector :whatthe:

Beautiful stuff! Keep it going!

Here's a Mitchell Hooks JD cover I picked up and i'm happy to share from his "Stylistic" period.  I call it that because in interviews he says that he hated having to paint the gorgeous girl and had a lot more fun finding compositions that sold the idea of the book.

20200728_181919.thumb.jpg.15fcf46ea330a50ed17dc8120476fbb4.jpg

Edited by Surfing Alien

Sweet digests! Rainbows are near and dear! Funny I just saw that crazy Ace today on the 'bay. And the Avon's.... pretty (thumbsu

Not sure whats up with usps because I have a bunchload of books dating back to July 20 that haven't been delivered!!! Mostly from Cali and I read that packages are piling up in the centers while they're negotiating ???

8 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Not sure whats up with usps because I have a bunchload of books dating back to July 20 that haven't been delivered!!! Mostly from Cali and I read that packages are piling up in the centers while they're negotiating ???

This topic can't be discussed here on the boards.  :gossip:  And yes, it's a train wreck.  I had a book sent from Culver City, CA to my brother in LA.  It had to travel a massive 5 miles and I paid for overnight delivery.

It took 8 days to get there...