• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,528 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

@OtherEric, no offense taken :) Growing up on the streets of the inner city my experience was the same as RD's. No one asked to bum a cigarette. It was "got a stogie?" Other smokables had various nicknames but "don't bogie that stogie" was a specific social admonition for those who tarried too long during the ritual of sharing :roflmao:Ah youth!

Thank you (and @Randall Dowling) for the answer.  It's a use of the term I had never encountered.  Not that I've ever smoked, but my parents and some friends did (or do), and that's never been one that's really been in use around here.  I think "butt" was the word normally used in the context you describe.

Regional differences in language are just fascinating to me.

16 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Regional differences in language are just fascinating to me.

Me too!  In my work, we use a lot of tracing paper that comes in rolls of various lengths.  Depending on what part of the country we're working, that tracing paper is referred to as:  trash, trace, onion, onion skin, bumwad, etc.  I've always kind of liked that certain regional distinctions still remain in the era of Starbucks and Chipotle.  

Even regional accents seem to be slowly fading which is too bad as I always enjoyed reproducing them.  :insane:

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

Well, it's been a while since I last posted in here.  Work's been busy but I've managed to bring in a few new books.  These arrived today.  Speaking of Ace D-series single copies...

IMG_5259.thumb.JPG.07c50182b2cbb6b49c0b07326b2478c9.JPG

These two little gems were pretty exciting:

IMG_5258.thumb.jpg.bfecfded9932cc16f24f77a9bc977e30.jpg

And I really like the cover art to this minty copy.  Plus, I'm in kind of a military history phase right now.

IMG_5260.thumb.JPG.04698a301124a683a49b348e87ddfa3e.JPG

Sweet books.  I don't think I ever noticed quite how see-through that Yankee Pasha outfit top was :bigsmile: Crazy for a Dell :headbang:

2 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Nice... I think they reissued the single in the 500's IIRC

They did.  Here, swiped from the internet, are scans of the SE and the reprint for reference.  I think the consensus is the Special Edition was from one of those grade school book sales; it's still weird to see the same number on a different edition like that:

1KSE.jpg

1K2nd.jpg

44 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

A trio from my local book store today.  The Bart House is nice because it's the first time I've ever seen one from that publisher; it will make a good placeholder until I track down one or both of the Lovecrafts.  The Dell is #9; I couldn't resist a single digit mapback.  I don't suppose anybody knows how to identify what printing/state it is?  And the NN Avon (#35) speaks for itself, I think.  A very good use of my limited budget today, I think; although the store had gotten in close to 200 books from the 40's or earlier and I had to be choosy...

Bart_house_29.jpg

Dell_Mapback_009.jpg

Avon_035.jpg

That's a good day sir 🤟🤟🤟 Don't think that Dell is a later print. No sure way to tell that I know of but most of these were one and done, even the bestsellers.  I have seen a few of, what do look like, later printings and they're usually skinnier and they'll have later numbers advertised in the back. That's about all you got to go by.

1 minute ago, Surfing Alien said:

That's a good day sir 🤟🤟🤟 Don't think that Dell is a later print. No sure way to tell that I know of but most of these were one and done, even the bestsellers.  I have seen a few of, what do look like, later printings and they're usually skinnier and they'll have later numbers advertised in the back. That's about all you got to go by.

No ad in that one at all.  I do know that #4 has versions both with and without the map; which is why I asked.  Thank you.

Alas this one did not fare so well. I know we all have USPS horror stories, this one stung because it's my favorite Berkley cover along with Black Opium, and difficult to find as nice as it was with the white cover :(

20200918_134513.thumb.jpg.3c90bdf2360b9fe290cbe83ea908cdc2.jpg

20200918_134555.thumb.jpg.08e3d6a968f322cf304588fab191ce81.jpg

I mean, you really have to be trying, to fold a book so hard that the pressurized corner explodes into dust :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

9 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Alas this one did not fare so well. I know we all have USPS horror stories, this one stung because it's my favorite Berkley cover along with Black Opium, and difficult to find as nice as it was with the white cover :(

20200918_134555.thumb.jpg.08e3d6a968f322cf304588fab191ce81.jpg

I mean, you really have to be trying, to fold a book so hard that the pressurized corner explodes into dust :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Awww, man... that's lame.  I've definitely had my fair share of messed up shipping with both pbs and mags but this one is very tough.  Sorry to see it, SA! :censored:

My least favorite (aside from this kind of damage) is when they use so much tape that just trying to get the book out is a risky endeavor.  Worse still, when some of that tape is on the book...