• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,538 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Awww, man... that's lame.  I've definitely had my fair share of messed up shipping with both pbs and mags but this one is very tough.  Sorry to see it, SA! :censored:

My least favorite (aside from this kind of damage) is when they use so much tape that just trying to get the book out is a risky endeavor.  Worse still, when some of that tape is on the book...

To be fair, the seller was a pro about it, straight refund, no return, but we both lamented the fate of such a nice copy of a classic cover after surviving 60 years :( 

He did wrap it in cardboard as well that is not in pics but it just got crushed somewhere...

13 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

My least favorite (aside from this kind of damage) is when they use so much tape that just trying to get the book out is a risky endeavor.  Worse still, when some of that tape is on the book...

I get this all the time but i'll take it over the alternative :roflmao:except for the "on the book" part

Edited by Surfing Alien

45 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Alas this one did not fare so well. I know we all have USPS horror stories, this one stung because it's my favorite Berkley cover along with Black Opium, and difficult to find as nice as it was with the white cover :(

20200918_134513.thumb.jpg.3c90bdf2360b9fe290cbe83ea908cdc2.jpg

20200918_134555.thumb.jpg.08e3d6a968f322cf304588fab191ce81.jpg

I mean, you really have to be trying, to fold a book so hard that the pressurized corner explodes into dust :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

That just hurts to look at.  I had something similar a year or two ago, on an imported hardcover no less.  I haven't been able to bring myself to throw it away; so you get new photos.  I did get a good copy of the book eventually, though.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
added photos

2 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Alas this one did not fare so well. I know we all have USPS horror stories, this one stung because it's my favorite Berkley cover along with Black Opium, and difficult to find as nice as it was with the white cover :(

20200918_134513.thumb.jpg.3c90bdf2360b9fe290cbe83ea908cdc2.jpg

20200918_134555.thumb.jpg.08e3d6a968f322cf304588fab191ce81.jpg

I mean, you really have to be trying, to fold a book so hard that the pressurized corner explodes into dust :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

That stinks. Looked like a really nice copy.

I remember going to my grandpa’s house as a kid and looking through his PB stash. He was a big fan of Perry Mason and Earl Stanley Gardner. He had hundreds of mystery PBS. All I was interested in were the sexy babe covers. Guess I was a “cover guy” at a real young age...:devil:

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I remember going to my grandpa’s house as a kid and looking through his PB stash. He was a big fan of Perry Mason and Earl Stanley Gardner. He had hundreds of mystery PBS. All I was interested in were the sexy babe covers. Guess I was a “cover guy” at a real young age...:devil:

I went for the fair maidens as well, but the earlier Pocket books don’t have the Belarski and Bergey babes like Popular Library does. They take a more mature, symbolic turn at times, with some of the covers reminding me more of WWII posters and other graphics of the era. And then there was Dell, a whole other deal altogether...:cloud9:

I usually only buy PBs at flea markets and paper shows. I’m scared to look at the bay because, like pulps, I just don’t need as much stuff any more. I can usually find stuff like this at flea markets for usually a few bucks each. Can’t wait until they all open up again...

On 9/19/2020 at 4:13 PM, damonwad said:

Does anyone know the artist on The Short Night? 

1590165722_ShortNight(front).thumb.JPG.43ff572988700516515a2c8b359f0823.JPG

I've been thinking about this one.  I think it looks like Walter Popp's work.  He had many different styles and this looks very much like his mark-making for the grittier stuff.  Here's another one of his covers (a little more refined).

dressed-to-kill.jpg.dfe0f8815bb35cf739797af1ec4b8ba1.jpg