• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,528 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2020 at 8:15 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I've been thinking about this one.  I think it looks like Walter Popp's work.  He had many different styles and this looks very much like his mark-making for the grittier stuff.  Here's another one of his covers (a little more refined).

dressed-to-kill.jpg.dfe0f8815bb35cf739797af1ec4b8ba1.jpg

Thanks and good eye. I'm not Joe Art Expert, but after looking at this and some of his other covers, I could definitely see Popp as the Short Night artist. 

Also, I really like that Dressed to Kill.

On 8/19/2017 at 2:14 AM, Doohickamabob said:

Not nearly enough action in this thread! Paperbacks should be its own section, whether or not CGC grades 'em.

Here's one I found at the local library the other day. The library sells books that people donate, but what I didn't realize is they have a hidden-away section of books they suspect are more valuable.  They only show them if you ask. I asked, and among the books from the 1800s, etc., they had this one sleazy paperback, which I bought (it was only a few bucks):

pb-allbutsix-01.jpg

pb-allbutsix-03.jpg

sounds like Uncle Frank from Hellraiser!!  :0 

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

A couple of McGinnis covers

Nice. We haven't talked about him much here but he's a giant and sooo prolific.

I am really tempted to collect some of those early Carter Brown Signets just for the covers of those looong leggy femmes he did but there's so many of them i'm afraid to jump in lol

46 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Nice. We haven't talked about him much here but he's a giant and sooo prolific.

I am really tempted to collect some of those early Carter Brown Signets just for the covers of those looong leggy femmes he did but there's so many of them i'm afraid to jump in lol

Completely agree.  I have a bunch of the Mike Shayne pbs and a dozen or so of the Carter Browns.  But they do seem to go on and on.  And they have so many different printings.  Still, his work does stand out for that time period.  (thumbsu

Got in some beautiful condition 40's mystery titles, including Popular Library #2.

You don't see these earlies like this every day

20200930_165850.thumb.jpg.8509ea2a3c3f7a1331a3ff1a39fe72cd.jpg

20200930_165837.thumb.jpg.03e10a9d41d7c2227dfda08f29bd0b32.jpg

20200930_165823.thumb.jpg.38f1c2e0bfee471d7c3e08ae3ab3c70a.jpg

Never seen this great Gregg cover before

20200930_165809.thumb.jpg.da942a2921d62c5e38e4aa606270184d.jpg

20200930_165755.thumb.jpg.8bd922a944921320bc4b4996bfaea394.jpg

I like when they're so square they stand up by themselves on their side 

20200930_165735.thumb.jpg.c7a25f0b9615fe12449e9f1584f85c2a.jpg

And finally, picked up a decent 1st print of Candide with its whimsical blurbs and cover...

20200928_154619.thumb.jpg.ec0b03efbfcc3a0c221b8a0655cd85e2.jpg

5 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Another Croydon digest with a cover by...  hm  and in remarkably fresh condition!

IMG_5296.thumb.JPG.5103b986acd498084909ef20e321825a.JPG

And last, but far from least, a pairing that Greg had that I found very cool.  I guess they pushed the envelope a little too far on the first one!  xD

IMG_5291.thumb.JPG.a2ff9d8af694a53d23df2993acef8ea0.JPG

:takeit:

That's quite a haul! I could comment on all of 'em but the Croydon is in amazing shape for a Croydon. It has all the hallmarks of Bernard Safran, who did the majority of them. Looking at bookscans, the cover is a reverse of #60, which is also uncredited in all the guides I have.

Dell was quite demure about depicting women but there were exceptions to the rule. The Case of the Seven Sneezes by Boucher always comes to mind but I've found another one that should be arriving soon :bigsmile:

And my pick-ups from the local book store for the day.  The Avon 281 will look nice next to my Avon 285 (Earth Man on Venus).  The Avon NN (23) is nice on general principles.  The Perma P145 is a nice collection of SF with several classics; although I think it may be most notable for having Heinlein's story "Beyond Doubt", which until 2005 was one of only three Heinlein stories not included in a Heinlein collection; it's still tricky to find, although not as much as the other two.  And I know almost nothing about the Detective Novel Classic 7; although a glance online suggests it's probably the big win for today.

Avon_281.jpg

Avon_023.jpg

Perma_P_145.jpg

Hillman_7.jpg

Sweet pickups @OtherEric. Early Avons like that Sayers are keepers for sure. With no organized base to record them, any very sharp copy of the "earlies" might be one of the best extant. The Coblentz is a classic (and a current want! one of the only classic Avon sci-fi's I haven't re-acquired yet). I need to read that Heinlein story to remember if I know it. I definitely had that Perma back in the 80's

I have one for tonight  Been looking for a decent copy since Pat posted his (worship) eons ago:roflmao:

20201002_202244.thumb.jpg.39d6f16212459d6ff7b5a85ff6859121.jpg

I'll keep looking for an affordable sharp copy of the first pb edition, which is the Digest sized Avon MMM #27, but this is a nice collectible copy that I can still read (thumbsu

Edited by Surfing Alien

a lot of great stuff in 'Beyond the End of Time': the much-discussed Bradbury 'There Will Come Soft Rains', C.M. Kornbluth's masterful 'The Little Black Bag' where an alcoholic ex-doctor finds a medical bag from the future whose superscience instruments soon attract the Doc some unscrupulous 'friends' - think it became a TZ (maybe NG) episode...
many other cool ones, a thick PB, but for me the highlight is the first reprinting after its obscure appearance in the limited distribution 'Fantasy Book', of Cordwainer Smith's 'Scanners Live in Vain'. Previously rejected by all the mags, this appearance managed a U-turn, and the story became a slightly belated 'instant classic'. So thanks to Pohl as this may have helped 'Smith' ( a pseudonym) continue his 'Instrumentality of Mankind', a series of stories and novelettes that wonderfully describe a future world's quest for meaning...with extreme relevance to our own. I don't own this Galaxy, but the Finlay cover shows Smith's 'Underpeople', (featuring the fabulous cat-girl C'Mell) human-animal hybrids of low status, and their battle for rights forms a central part of the saga, culminating with his glorious novella, 'The Dead Lady of Clown Town' where the dog-girl D'Joan follows her human namesake and becomes a martyr to the cause, her death providing the catalyst for change.

Mag2a.JPG

Edited by Pat Calhoun

42 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

a lot of great stuff in 'Beyond the End of Time': the much-discussed Bradbury 'There Will Come Soft Rains', C.M. Kornbluth's masterful 'The Little Black Bag' where an alcoholic ex-doctor finds a medical bag from the future whose superscience instruments soon attract the Doc some unscrupulous 'friends' - think it became a TZ (maybe NG) episode...
many other cool ones, a thick PB, but for me the highlight is the first reprinting after its obscure appearance in the limited distribution 'Fantasy Book', of Cordwainer Smith's 'Scanners Live in Vain'. Previously rejected by all the mags, this appearance managed a U-turn, and the story became a slightly belated 'instant classic'. So thanks to Pohl as this may have helped 'Smith' ( a pseudonym) continue his 'Instrumentality of Mankind', a series of stories and novelettes that wonderfully describe a future world's quest for meaning...with extreme relevance to our own. I don't own this Galaxy, but the Finlay cover shows Smith's 'Underpeople', (featuring the fabulous cat-girl C'Mell) human-animal hybrids of low status, and their battle for rights forms a central part of the saga, culminating with his glorious novella, 'The Dead Lady of Clown Town' where the dog-girl D'Joan follows her human namesake and becomes a martyr to the cause, her death providing the catalyst for change.

Mag2a.JPG

I stand corrected about the Heinlein story being the most interesting thing in the book. I knew the story about how Pohl had rescued "Scanners Live in Vain" from obscurity; but did not realize this was the book that did it.  I just did a count; I have 10 of the 19 stories in the collection in their original publication; although two of them (Heredity and Beyond Doubt) were originally from the same issue of Astonishing.

I've always loved the Finlay cover on that issue of Galaxy; it may be my all time favorite of his covers.  I do have a copy, but it doesn't appear to be scanned at the moment.  So I'll just leave this cover here instead.  Very happy I was able to track down this one a few years ago as well:

Fantasy_Book_06.jpg