• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,904 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

I do not.  It looks like most (not all) of what I'm looking for is Merritt and those two Avon Fantasy Novels.  It's a nice little subset to work on...

Eric, can you check your copy of Into Plutonian Depths when you get a chance? I don't have one now but iirc it was 285 but didn't have laminate, like the other 2 "Fantasy Novels" It's a "Fantasy Novel" as well but they folded it into the regular numbering.

4 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Eric, can you check your copy of Into Plutonian Depths when you get a chance? I don't have one now but iirc it was 285 but didn't have laminate, like the other 2 "Fantasy Novels" It's a "Fantasy Novel" as well but they folded it into the regular numbering.

You are correct, no laminate on the 285 and the trade dress is closer to the Fantasy Novels.  Did you have anything else you need me to check on it?  Also, reposting the cover because why not?

Avon_281.jpg

18 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

You are correct, no laminate on the 285 and the trade dress is closer to the Fantasy Novels.  Did you have anything else you need me to check on it?  Also, reposting the cover because why not?

Avon_281.jpg

281 oops! Can't be posted enough (thumbsu One of the classics, a sweet copy for sure. I gotta get one to fill in on my run. I remembered correctly lol! They weren't all laminated after 254 but I think most were. I don't think any of the guides addressed these details in depth.

Edited by Surfing Alien

12 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Cool. How old are those?

I had to look up what a hashknife was the first time I read one of the stories. (see 6 posts up)

The wooden handle ones on the right look older and more multi-purpose (hashknives were a wagon-train favorite used for chopping and flipping etc at the chuck wagon: a classic hash is chopped potatoes and chopped meat) maybe late 19C, the metal handle ones more like early 20C cabbage cutters.
Plus a recent pickup: not high grade or a first print but I'm a Hammett fan and a fan of Hoffman's imagistic covers, so bingo.

0thinm.jpg

Thanks for the info. and first or not, I'm a big fan of that Thin Man too.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:25 PM, OtherEric said:

Pocket_0214.jpg

I don't know if this is Hoffman but it's in the style... was just looking back through these posts and everybody got so excited about Damon's pretty Mysteries/Westerns and Eric's Avons that this here gem didn't get its due.

It is the 1st paperback Sci-Fi Anthology and 1st "pure" Sci-Fi paperback - it opened the floodgates all the way back in 1943.

A Muy Importante (forgive me but it's bigger than English!) book.

That's a real nice copy and it's on my radar again. I know y'all heard this before but I had a pretty pretty copy back when :facepalm:

41 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I don't know if this is Hoffman but it's in the style... was just looking back through these posts and everybody got so excited about Damon's pretty Mysteries/Westerns and Eric's Avons that this here gem didn't get its due.

It is the 1st paperback Sci-Fi Anthology and 1st "pure" Sci-Fi paperback - it opened the floodgates all the way back in 1943.

That's a real nice copy and it's on my radar again. I know y'all heard this before but I had a pretty pretty copy back when :facepalm:

It's hard to get attention when the other book he posted had a half naked woman in a bubble.

I didn't know anything about the book though, so thanks for the info. Definitely on my list now.

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Thank you for the heads up; my entire knowledge of the book was "That looks like it's worth the $5.99 the store is asking."  It seems like it's a much better spent $6 than I originally knew...

ISFDB doesn't have a credit for the cover, you may be right.

20 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Thank you for the heads up; my entire knowledge of the book was "That looks like it's worth the $5.99 the store is asking."  It seems like it's a much better spent $6 than I originally knew...

ISFDB doesn't have a credit for the cover, you may be right.

Looking back on my notes, i'm pretty sure this book is the 1st Sturgeon and Heinlein in a book appearance.  Wollheim collected a history of sci-fi from HG Wells to the best from Astounding for the big Pocket debut...