• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,906 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2020 at 4:15 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

img835.jpg

Love "Green Girl" of space!  

The first I remember seeing a "Green Girl" was as a kid watching a repeat of the Star Trek episode with Yvonne Craig (of Batman fame) as a Green Girl.  There was also a Green Girl dancer in the re-work of the original pilot episode.

Later, when I started collecting in the late 70s and my Dad gave me his comics, it turned out he had Man O' Mars!

Make me wonder what was the first "Green Girl" cover.  Could easily be this book, which beats out Blue Bolt 105 by a few months!  

Anyone know?

We need a "Green Girl" thread somewhere on the boards! 

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Was looking for something else when I came across these two.  For the life of me I can't remember if I posted them here when I got them, so showing them again.  I really do need to sit down and read them... I've got a decent amount of Brown in my collection, but almost all of it is SF:

Bantam_1436.jpg

Bantam_2135.jpg

Looks like for #1436 that Mitchell Hooks just reworked the cover he did for the John Ross MacDonald Bantam #1295 that RD posted a few pages back. It was only a year later lol - I hope he got paid twice :)

On 10/13/2020 at 10:42 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Here's a bunch of my latest arrivals.  Apologies in advance for the long post.  :eek:  Start off with a couple of classics-

IMG_5324.thumb.JPG.dcc7282f3e7efe0a89aa3844eceb9c23.JPG

Quoting this so people can see what they think of @Surfing Alien's suggestion that the Bantam 1436 cover reworks the 1295 on one page.  The one does look quite a bit like a rough sketch for the other, he may have had the one in mind when he did the second one.  Or it may just have been a fairly common design element on paperback covers, although I think it really got going later in the 60's and these would be fairly early examples.

6 hours ago, damonwad said:

I'm sure there's earlier but this is November, 1946. 

Not my copy.

473533909_weirdtalesnov1946.thumb.jpg.7232558564260c1c007266073d7ae3e1.jpg

Nice find, that's beautiful. I'm going to have to keep my eye out for one. I took a cursory look and see tons of green men/aliens in the early pulps and a few green women slightly later in the 50's but this one is the earliest green girl so far. Granted, there are a ton of them to look through.

4 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Not sure what happened with my phone last night with the above 2 posts. I was just trying to post the "Winnah" emoji for Eric moving the goal post back to 1941 lol I got called away and didn't realize the weirdness until now. Anyway, nice find :)

I once had a problem with the board software where everything I posted was posting twice.

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

I finally received my latest order from Abe books. Before I post any of those I will post my other vintage book found at a local bookstore. I had quite a while to search their mystery shelves and may just have bought out all of the books with cover prices of 25 and 35 cents. A check on-line reveals there are at least a few ardent fans of Brett Halliday's novels. The cover has potential but is slightly marred by an oversize title.

scan0363.jpg

I have a lot of Mike Shayne novels.  :headbang: