• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,907 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Pockets get a little overshadowed by the competition, I believe, but there's something so old, so visually appealing about them to me.

It's amazing that Pocket was at number 180 in 1942 when there was almost no competition. Avon was still in the early no numbers and there was no one else other than the crude early Penguins.

1 minute ago, Hap Hazard said:

I've searched through all the Ace paperback doubles  and sci fi  digests but no luck.

It's a pretty tough find as the territory is quite large.  As I'm sure you know, it could be a magazine cover or illustration, pulp cover, paperback cover, digest cover or none of the above, just an unpublished prelim.  Having said that, none of it diminishes what a cool piece it is.  (thumbsu

I'd post it in either the OA forum or the pulp forum as well, you never know and a few of those guys are real experts on Emsh.  I'll keep my eye out as I'm also a fan of his work also.

26 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

It's a pretty tough find as the territory is quite large.  As I'm sure you know, it could be a magazine cover or illustration, pulp cover, paperback cover, digest cover or none of the above, just an unpublished prelim.  Having said that, none of it diminishes what a cool piece it is.  (thumbsu

I'd post it in either the OA forum or the pulp forum as well, you never know and a few of those guys are real experts on Emsh.  I'll keep my eye out as I'm also a fan of his work also.

Thanks and yes there are so many EMSH covers to search through. I've posted it in several sites over the years but no luck in IDing the art.

44 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

This just in... with all due respect to the Pocket 1st paperback edition, i'll take this Pyramid edition with the Clarence Doore blonde with stogie and opera gloves all day long :cloud9: Just a killer cover and it's tough to find in any condition.

20201204_174827.thumb.jpg.f20a18c9bc2c2bc855133284b3ec1649.jpg

I haven't seen that one before. What a beaut. :cloud9:

9 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Some big, some small.  I'll let you, the viewer, be the judge of which is which...

You've been busy my friend (thumbsu I don't collect the edgier sleaze but I know "Orgy of the Dead" and "The Day the Universe Came" are two of the most sought after of that ilk and command buckos. The Maguire collection is moving along nicely, and you've added to your Ray Johnson collection with that copy of the wonderfully pulpy looking "The Chinese Parrot " :whistle:

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

The above post reminded me of this item I've had tucked away in my personal vault forever...

It's a copy of "Orgy of the Dead" plus the pre-publishing coverless review copy plus two stages of the edited original galleys plus, of course, the original manuscript from Mr. Wood himself, all compiled by the Greenleaf  editors.

20201209_084438.jpg

That is just... wow! Definitely vault material!