• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,890 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Arkadin said:

Nominations for worst publisher for condition!

My nomination: Lancer.  

What say you all?

Not the worst by far imho but I have to say the cardboard on the 60's Marvel Lancers seems to want to crack rather than bend

9 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Not sure who I would pick, but I'm sure it's not Lancer.  Unless the books have laminate to peel they're not a candidate for the worst.

Lamination is a whole separate world of hurt in collecting and grading early Pockets, Avons and some of the Popular Library's that have them, including even knowing when then came with lamination and when they were without.

That said, my candidates for worst condition are still Croydon Digests and Unibook Digests. The paper was such thin garbage and they had much lower print runs than the big publishers so you can find pretty nice copies of most laminated PBs but many of the Croydons and Uni's you can't find copies at all and when you do, they're creased to death. Harlequins are very tough as well because of the lower print runs and the cheap ink they used gets rubbed. Un-rubbed copies are very tough to find.

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

I've gotten a few titles in but this little gem is on it's way to me.  I've been looking for this particular magazine since I first saw it and finally found a very nice looking copy.  Just an absolute classic cover and I figured you guys are the crowd to appreciate it.  For your viewing pleasure, I give you, Underworld Detective!

635802602_UnderworldDetective_V2_5.thumb.jpg.3db69f454ac795b0d68313d6b86494bc.jpg

Just gorgeous. Wish it didn't have the blurb stamped right over her... Any lead on the artist? Looks like one of the PB artists but can't put my finger on it

1 minute ago, Surfing Alien said:

Just gorgeous. Wish it didn't have the blurb stamped right over her... Any lead on the artist? Looks like one of the PB artists but can't put my finger on it

The blurb has to be deliberate.  The question is, is it there to hide art that was too risqué or to make buyers think it was more risqué than it really was?

3 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

The blurb has to be deliberate.  The question is, is it there to hide art that was too risqué or to make buyers think it was more risqué than it really was?

It may depend on the date of publication. I've been researching a lot of old Publishers Weeklys and there was a huge concern in the mid 50's that publishers were going to get raided, shut down or enjoined by the courts for the same reasons as comic books were being attacked. It's fairly incredible how many local courts enjoined the sale and distribution of books in those years.

17 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

It may depend on the date of publication. I've been researching a lot of old Publishers Weeklys and there was a huge concern in the mid 50's that publishers were going to get raided, shut down or enjoined by the courts for the same reasons as comic books were being attacked. It's fairly incredible how many local courts enjoined the sale and distribution of books in those years.

I can't place the artist exactly.  It's from 1951.  I can eliminate a lot of cover artists but I can't pin it down.  Whoever it is, I want more!

16 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I can't place the artist exactly.  It's from 1951.  I can eliminate a lot of cover artists but I can't pin it down.  Whoever it is, I want more!

Interestingly, that Underworld Detective series was edited and then published by one of my current favorite vintage PB authors, Lionel White, who went from being a True Crime reporter/editor/pubisher to writer of classic "Big Caper" pbo's, some of which I've posted here and quite a few which were made into movies. I'll dig a little more and see if I can find who the artist stable was as that series had a lot of nice GGA.

https://what-when-how.com/pulp-fiction-writers/white-lionel-pulp-fiction-writer/

584169579_LionelWhite.thumb.jpg.a01ca4c574935fcbd3edfe3080624fdf.jpg