• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,865 posts in this topic

I've been sorting through my paperbacks and decided to update some photos. These are digest books: Diversey, Broadway, Exotic, Ecstasy, Croyden, Cameo, Quarter Books, Venus, Rainbow, Leisure Library, and Archer publishers. Here are some pics. I love these covers.

155279.jpg.fc4661f35df2c009e1007cc613285016.jpg

155280.jpg.9224c9d0c1e39db521f2e870eed48a49.jpg

155281.jpg.efad524c49d2a4cac3762c61354cbef1.jpg

I've been sorting through my paperbacks and decided to update some photos. These are digest books: Diversey, Broadway, Exotic, Ecstasy, Croyden, Cameo, Quarter Books, Venus, Rainbow, Leisure Library, and Archer publishers. Here are some pics. I love these covers.

Reginald Heade :cloud9:

What an amazing picture. I love those digests! So underrated and underpriced in my humble opinion.

Awesome photos. Many thanks for posting them. Unlike a lot of the sci fi guys here, I like these the most. I used to have many of those but sold a lot when they were real hot. I collected them strictly for the covers. I doubt many people here know how hard it is to find most of those...

Awesome photos. Many thanks for posting them. Unlike a lot of the sci fi guys here, I like these the most. I used to have many of those but sold a lot when they were real hot. I collected them strictly for the covers. I doubt many people here know how hard it is to find most of those...

I definitely understand how hard it is to find them. I have been collecting digests actively for the past 20+ years and the really great covers are super tough to find. And finding them in decent shape is a huge challenge.

I can't believe I missed a thread with Reginald Heade mentioned. I must be slipping. He is my favorite artist. I have about 150 book covers and five pieces of original art of his. I'm going to have to go back and read this thread from the beginning.

I can't believe I missed a thread with Reginald Heade mentioned. I must be slipping. He is my favorite artist. I have about 150 book covers and five pieces of original art of his. I'm going to have to go back and read this thread from the beginning.

150 book covers and five pieces of original art?!?!?!

Pictures! I request pictures!

I've been inactive on the boards lately, but I just put together some images of a few other paperbacks in my collection. I tried to group these mostly by publisher, but some of them are pretty random.

I'll start off with the publisher that has obvious crossover appeal for golden-age fans -- Avon. Others have posted many of these recently (I've really enjoyed the images people have been posting!)

Not all of these are Avons, of course. A couple of non-Avons I slipped in to make the images fit the 4x2 arrangement that seems to present well on the forum, or just because I was being sloppy.

Several of these Avons are all-time favorite paperback covers: "Musk, Hashish and Blood," "The Green Girl," "Earth Man on Venus" among them.

Things get rather offensive with the "N***** Heaven" cover, as well as the "12 Ch*nks" book (I masked those titles so as not to run afoul of mods). I put the Eton "Kiss My Fist" book in there because it fit well thematically, but the "Dancing Sandwiches" book is just there to fill out the space. Another favorite cover of mine is the "6 Deadly Dames" one, which I think has a great layout and appealing green background.

Farther down, there's lots of very va-voomish GGA stuff, plus many covers that Avon re-used for golden-age romance comics covers. There's also a "Murder of Roger Ackroyd" book which was Agatha Christie's first big hit (technically "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" was her first hit, but "Roger Ackroyd" was the first book to feature one of her signature surprise endings). Unfortunately my copy is only 4th edition. If it were 1st edition it would be worth as much as $10,000.

155886.jpg.2cdcf231bec5c8e4ad17f1bbe3f911ee.jpg

155887.jpg.c11f5e511d3621220fd52640621a6653.jpg

155888.jpg.18841f09d6b24012d706ce935bca11d1.jpg