• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,801 posts in this topic

Here are some more images... These are from two of the other most well-known publishers of the time period, Novel Library and Popular Library. (I also snuck a Bantam in there for thematic reasons.)

These are some of my favorite GGA type of painted book covers. Many of the Popular Library covers are by one of the all-time greats, Rudolph Belarski.

155889.jpg.bad49d12afe1841c33d8cc623d60ebd5.jpg

155890.jpg.3500af3944e0651ee8d1c8e42e8684f6.jpg

155891.jpg.bc8f9a0619db063cfe4226fe89d6eea9.jpg

Some of these publishers get a little more obscure or narrow in terms of collecting focus. One of the better-known publishers in this group is Beacon. Among my favorite titles are "Confessions of a Psychiatrist," and also "Sexecutives," the latter of which is by Ed Wood Jr. of "Plan 9 From Outer Space" and "Glenn or Glenda?" fame, though he uses a pseudonym here.

"The Naked I" is Popular Library but it goes with the other beach covers. At lower right is "Leg Artist," published by Red Circle. I don't have many from that publisher.

155892.jpg.9e2632d0cb0e1c7117dbd67799a44a68.jpg

These are a bit more obscure. The Pyramid publisher had some really cool GGA covers and book titles, but they don't show up as often as Popular Library, etc. The "Love Camp" book is one of the harder ones to get, telling a story about a Nazi sex cult.

At lower left are two books from the Saber/Tropic publisher, which was more of an early 1960s publisher than most of what I usually collect, which is 1940s and 1950s. If I could afford it and had the patience, I would try to collect many of the really standout Saber/Tropic books, which often have wonderful GGA artwork by Bill Edwards. They also sometimes have bizarre torture type covers, like the "Passion's Greatest Trap" cover seen at lower right. (Also pictured is a Lion book, the suggestively titled "Dark Tunnel," which is about a homosexual cross-dressing spy.)

155893.jpg.89049230148574fb566fd01192e99b72.jpg

These images show a bunch of oddball publishers, of which I only have a handful of titles. These are very random. The image at bottom has many of the more "offensive" titles, which are more from the 1960s than the '50s. Some of these I picked up at garage sales or cheap online just because they seemed so out-there in terms of subject matter and presentation. (For example, "Oriental Orgy"? "The Raper"?) Also seen here is "Wild Party!", one of the few Bill Ward cover books I've managed to pick up in auction for a reasonable price. I think it slipped under the radar of other bidders.

155894.jpg.11ea3fdee925bbe8b9324a9da92c7c5d.jpg

155895.jpg.017966bf44ae9b45b372629f290f7234.jpg

Finally, a hodge-podge of Mad related or other random books. These are two of my favorite Mad paperback covers, for obvious reasons. I used to have an exhaustive collection of Mad paperbacks that I purchased as a kid, but (somewhat foolishly, given their low hammer price) auctioned them all off in a lot due to a lack of apartment space.

Also seen are some Harvey Kurtzman "Help" books, a Bill Elder book that almost seems to be ghost-written by Kurtzman (though apparently Herbert Klopzfinger or whatever is a real person -- sure sounds like a Kurtzman pseudonym), and a "Love Letters to the Monkees" book that has a cool Jack Davis cover.

Also, there's "Subliminal Seduction," a funky book about images of sex and death hidden in advertisements. I also have a first-edition hardcover version of this book, which has nice large pictures of the supposedly hidden images.

For fun, at lower-right is a feminist book with a catchy title.

155896.jpg.6adf5bcc1df95403d5f0cc8b8a99f06f.jpg

Great stuff. Thanks for posting them. It's a lot of work. (I know). Really makes me miss my collection. I had a whole lot of those a few years ago. I got weak and sold most of my collection to one guy. The trouble is, now the books are gone and so is the money. I did keep about 25 of my favorite GGA and Dope books though. I do occasionally pick up a few at flea markets on the cheap when I see them.

Here are some more images... These are from two of the other most well-known publishers of the time period, Novel Library and Popular Library. (I also snuck a Bantam in there for thematic reasons.)

These are some of my favorite GGA type of painted book covers. Many of the Popular Library covers are by one of the all-time greats, Rudolph Belarski.

Tremendous. I have never seen "The Whipping" before.

Tremendous. I have never seen "The Whipping" before.

Sold my copy here on the Boards a couple years ago... in this thread: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6367256

Thanks for the responses everybody. Nice to see Mitch Mehdy comment along with Dr. Love, Robot Man, Flex Mentallo and others.

Hey, there are a few of you in San Diego, aren't there? (Mitch, Dr. Love, Hap Hazard, Fuelman, myself...) We should have a group meet-up sometime.

As for this:

photo%203_zpsu1makpge.jpg

:applause:

That is great!

On top of the killer artwork, I have to add that the framing and matting is really top-notch. Perfect color choices. The plexiglass even looks like it's low-glare and I'll bet it's UV blocking too.

Thanks for the responses everybody. Nice to see Mitch Mehdy comment along with Dr. Love, Robot Man, Flex Mentallo and others.

Hey, there are a few of you in San Diego, aren't there? (Mitch, Dr. Love, Hap Hazard, Fuelman, myself...) We should have a group meet-up sometime.

As for this:

photo%203_zpsu1makpge.jpg

:applause:

That is great!

On top of the killer artwork, I have to add that the framing and matting is really top-notch. Perfect color choices. The plexiglass even looks like it's low-glare and I'll bet it's UV blocking too.

I am in on san diego board members meeting...PM when....

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

25 25