• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,528 posts in this topic

Here's a recent Popular Library pick-up, "The Case of the Crumpled Knave" by Anthony Boucher. The draw for me is the cover art, which is Rudolph Belarski's first work for Popular Library and marked the beginning of his productive and sensational run doing these kinds of book covers.

159884.jpg.484bb103d4ff884ebd0e817d9e4482fa.jpg

Here's my meager collection of Saber/Tropic (Europa, Vegas, etc.) books. These are borderline un-showable here, due to how sleazy they get. Normally I don't collect 1960s-era paperbacks, but I make an exception for the Saber/Tropic publisher because of the appealing style of the cover art -- which was often done by Bill Edwards. I think he used the same model for a lot of his work, and she must have been really cute, to put it mildly.

The first group contains some classics. The 2nd photo is indicative of how much sleazier or more violent things got later in the publisher's history, which mirrors the times. "Passion's Greatest Trap" is an image straight out of a Man's Story magazine type of scenario. (As you can see, my copy is trashed. It's tough to find these in grade without having to shell out $$$.) The "Berlin Bed" book has a fold-out flap that I can't show here, as it goes full nudie.

159885.jpg.3b6b0260ae65ab22bece3a971818d418.jpg

159886.jpg.789dbb89150fb132e545cb6e08cb650c.jpg

A lot of very nice digests Doohickamabob. I believe I see The Death Wish peeking out in the Crumpled Knave picture.

Here are the first 4 Ecstasy's I have

img029_zpsmyyd76yr.jpg

Those books are fantastic. I especially love the "excitingly illustrated" bottom-right one, and if memory serves, that one is especially tough to get (I don't have it, and when it shows up for auction there's always lots of competition). Yes regarding the peeking book, BTW.

Four more Ecstasys

img030_zpsbyaxonef.jpg

Those are the bomb. I'd like to have all four of those. "Never Say No" is a fun one, though the green hat and clothing makes me wonder if there's a St. Patrick's Day aspect to the story (probably not). "Reno Tramp" is such a great title...gosh, I wonder what it's about? "Bed-Time Angel" is one I have, and it's a great "optical illusion" cover worthy of outrage from the same people who burned pre-code comic books. The "Confessions of a Model" book rounds out the four for a scintillating scan...or titillating perhaps is a more fitting word here.

Some great GGA again by Doohickamabob and freeform! :cloud9:

A couple more recent Ace acquisitions and one from Popular Library. A nod to the final book also being one great read.

ACE_D381B_zps1uviwmbm.jpg

ACE_D381_zpssgoycnzm.jpg

ACE-D69A_zpslgsbxntk.jpg

ACE-D69B_zpsxuocrhkk.jpg

Captivating story on engineering genetics in humans and the backlash by "normal" humanity.

DragonILND_zpsbn2g0ohh.jpg

a mystery - Ed Valigursky is my guess as 'Daybreak' artist. It is her first sf nov (1952)- but her novelette in another ish of the obscure Fantasy Book, from 1947, 'The People of the Crater', is top-notch science fantasy. I just read it in this super Ace anthology... + here's link to original:

http://www.philsp.com/data/images/f/fantasy_book_1947_v1_n1.jpg

im346.jpg

Edited by Pat Calhoun