• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,879 posts in this topic

Not nearly enough action in this thread! Paperbacks should be its own section, whether or not CGC grades 'em.

Here's one I found at the local library the other day. The library sells books that people donate, but what I didn't realize is they have a hidden-away section of books they suspect are more valuable.  They only show them if you ask. I asked, and among the books from the 1800s, etc., they had this one sleazy paperback, which I bought (it was only a few bucks):

pb-allbutsix-01.jpg

pb-allbutsix-03.jpg

I can't get over how great this cover is. But the back cover -- great in its own way!

"They were lovers caught between the heaven of their frenzied love-making and the hell of fighting the Triffids."

Man, I hate that.....when )(#@*%)^* TRIFFIDS are interrupting your frenzied love-making!

pb-triffids-01.jpg

pb-triffids-02.jpg

4 hours ago, Doohickamabob said:

Not nearly enough action in this thread! Paperbacks should be its own section, whether or not CGC grades 'em.

Here's one I found at the local library the other day. The library sells books that people donate, but what I didn't realize is they have a hidden-away section of books they suspect are more valuable.  They only show them if you ask. I asked, and among the books from the 1800s, etc., they had this one sleazy paperback, which I bought (it was only a few bucks):

pb-allbutsix-01.jpg

pb-allbutsix-03.jpg

Oh mama 

19 hours ago, Doohickamabob said:

Found this a couple weeks ago. I've seen it auction for as much as $100, in nice condition. This is a lower-grade copy but still presents well, and I got it for a few bucks -- got lucky!

pb-swingers-in-danger.jpg

That is awesome stuff

On 8/19/2017 at 2:17 AM, Doohickamabob said:

I can't get over how great this cover is. But the back cover -- great in its own way!

"They were lovers caught between the heaven of their frenzied love-making and the hell of fighting the Triffids."

Man, I hate that.....when )(#@*%)^* TRIFFIDS are interrupting your frenzied love-making!

pb-triffids-01.jpg

pb-triffids-02.jpg

It's expected when invaders from outer space trample your cars, bust through buildings, smash bridges and knock planes out of the sky,

but mess  with our frenzied love-making that's too much.  :sumo:

Very cool book!

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 8/19/2017 at 3:17 AM, Doohickamabob said:

pb-triffids-01.jpg

pb-triffids-02.jpg

Anybody who bought this one on the basis of the front cover painting and the back cover text was in for a serious disappointment!

I read the book years ago -- classic 1950s sci-fi -- and it's a good end-of-world story, but I think I would remember "frenzied love making" if there had been any, which I'm pretty sure there wasn't.

17 hours ago, Dr. Love said:
On 9/23/2017 at 12:48 AM, Hap Hazard said:

Last one for tonight, nice set of Lord of the Rings Ace books, with super rare first edition of the Hobbit with Lion on cover.

SAM_1737.JPG

Very very nice set Steve! congrats (thumbsu

a lion in the Shire hm

I blame Sauron

Didn't Tolkien get upset about this because the publisher didn't bother to send the artist a copy of the book?  I think the artist was just told it was a fantasy novel and ended up winging it.  Or was that the cover that had the unicorn on it? hm