• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,810 posts in this topic

While we're still on the re-use subject, I dug back once again to the legendary Doohickamabob thread where he posted literally every Avon/Realistic comic/paperback re-use (starting on page 8) so no one has to go looking or wondering what there was...

A fun thread and a great effort on the original poster's part

That doubles thread is so good.  I know where I'm going from now on when I need to find the source of Avon re-uses.  Cheap bastards.

A new one discovered just this morning as I was looking back at a pulp auction post at MCS I did last night.  The Avenger cover was new to me, but The Perfect Crime issue is one I scanned way back when, and my copy had been languishing at eBay for a few months until somebody picked it up last week (happened to be a few copies up at the same time, kind of weird for a htf title).  I'd been looking at that cover so long as I relisted the sucker over and over it was seared into my brain (not to mention the hours spent on the original cover restoration for the scan), and I had that aha moment after a little deja vu.

7327497.jpg

The Perfect Crime 012 (1951-05.Cross) cover Darwin Edit

On 4/16/2024 at 1:16 PM, johnenock said:

Been on a roll lately, Jim. Some pristine looking books!

Coming from you, that's high praise. You've been making me jealous for weeks now. :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Swamp Hoyden by Jack Woodford and John B. Thompson Uni Book No. 71. Cover art by Saul Levine (Re-used on Whittington's "Cracker Girl")

Once you start collecting digests, especially Uni Books and the others with thin cover paper, it becomes a tough itch to scratch :frustrated:

This one has it all, high grade, swamps & cleavage. What more could a man ask for ?

20240416_170528.thumb.jpg.8a261cb370c13f2955bb37a6678832b9.jpg

She Lived In Sin (The Sins of Donna Kenyon)   Croydon No. 101R   1954    Cover art by Lou Marchetti

Some of these late number Croydons you just never see, this one is a first for me.  The story is a reprint of Stork Books No. 6, which may account for the "R" in the numbering hm

This incredible copy is one of my pickups from the LA show that I'm finally getting to re-bagging and cataloguing. I am definitely going to have to do another sale because I can't get my overflow boxes to fit back in the closet anymore :sorry:

20240416_173259.thumb.jpg.57bbb7c8df9c70f68278fab10ac6f20a.jpg

On 4/16/2024 at 3:30 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Swamp Hoyden by Jack Woodford and John B. Thompson Uni Book No. 71. Cover art by Saul Levine (Re-used on Whittington's "Cracker Girl")

Once you start collecting digests, especially Uni Books and the others with thin cover paper, it becomes a tough itch to scratch :frustrated:

This one has it all, high grade, swamps & cleavage. What more could a man ask for ?

20240416_170528.thumb.jpg.8a261cb370c13f2955bb37a6678832b9.jpg

I love swamps!