• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,875 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, OtherEric said:

75 1/2 Ace "D" double Sci-Fi books.

(Sorry, the shelter in place is making me even more willing to repost stuff and be a pedantic twit than usual.)

Ace_D-013a.jpg

Ace_D-013b.jpg

Yes 75 and one half.  I still insist on skipping the half.lol so its 75 for me.   I had 74 books in my list, so I went through my spreadsheet and discovered I had missed an issue.   Instead of needing two more books to finish my run I now need three. I had made a minor miscue and ordered a later edition for one of the books. :makepoint:    I just finished reading The World Swappers by Brunner and it was quite interesting, so I'm looking forward to Sanctuary in the Sky.

scan0194.jpg

scan0193.jpg

3 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Some more nice Dell's came into the fold. The early ones are pretty tough looking this nice. The lamination is lifting on Madonna of the Sleeping Cars but it's all there and I've never seen one before. It's a real oddball.

20200408_094009.thumb.jpg.f5b0d82389b0f88752d1b1d0836c371c.jpg

Who cares is right! I've never seen that book in person either, and I've looked through a LOT of mapbacks. Congrats!! 

3 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Who cares is right! I've never seen that book in person either, and I've looked through a LOT of mapbacks. Congrats!! 

What's odd is that i've never heard of this book or seen it, but apparently it was one of the biggest selling books of the early 20th century (it was written in 1925) and was "notorious" (banned in Boston according to the WaPo article). It was reprinted in 2012 to a lot of fanfare including a gushing review in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/the-madonna-of-the-sleeping-cars-by-maurice-dekobra/2012/11/09/3c107f56-1e13-11e2-ba31-3083ca97c314_story.html

Maybe there wasn't an appetite for lighthearted pre-WW2 European sleaze and intrigue in 1948 when Dell released it and it didn't sell well?

7 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

What's odd is that i've never heard of this book or seen it, but apparently it was one of the biggest selling books of the early 20th century (it was written in 1925) and was "notorious" (banned in Boston according to the WaPo article). It was reprinted in 2012 to a lot of fanfare including a gushing review in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/the-madonna-of-the-sleeping-cars-by-maurice-dekobra/2012/11/09/3c107f56-1e13-11e2-ba31-3083ca97c314_story.html

Maybe there wasn't an appetite for lighthearted pre-WW2 European sleaze and intrigue in 1948 when Dell released it and it didn't sell well?

That's really interesting! I've poured over many old best-seller lists going back to the early 1900's when Mary Rinehart, Robert Chambers, Booth Tarkington, Rex Beach, Ralph Connor... I've seen those names on cloth covers for decades now in all manner of rummaging, but I don't recall that title.

I've found that a lot of the Dell and Pocket books drew from similar, older works, I guess, that's why people get so excited by PBO's! :banana:

On 4/8/2020 at 8:55 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Some more nice Dell's came into the fold. The early ones are pretty tough looking this nice. The lamination is lifting on Madonna of the Sleeping Cars but it's all there and I've never seen one before. It's a real oddball.

20200408_094009.thumb.jpg.f5b0d82389b0f88752d1b1d0836c371c.jpg

Speaking of lamination, does anyone have any insights for both re-adhering it or removing it? I've peeled off damaged lamination with mixed results. Sometimes there is a dullish residue on the book cover which doesn't wipe off. Has anyone tried a hot iron to re-adhere it? My other thought was heating it with a hairdryer might help in removing it. Thoughts?  :foryou:

15 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Speaking of lamination, does anyone have any insights for both re-adhering it or removing it? I've peeled off damaged lamination with mixed results. Sometimes there is a dullish residue on the book cover which doesn't wipe off. Has anyone tried a hot iron to re-adhere it? My other thought was heating it with a hairdryer might help in removing it. Thoughts?  :foryou:

Never tried or thought about re-attaching the laminate. I'd be more interested in that than peeling it off. I've only done that on a couple of wacky books where there was very little left and it was folded over and over onto itself and looked horrible. As you mentioned - it usually leaves some residue and the book looks dull. I'd be interested to know of there was a safe way to reattach it.

6 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Odd...my post disappeared?

Anyway, even though I'm trying not to buy any collectibles right now, this one spoke to me.  A nostalgic Bergey cover in nice shape.  I tried not to buy it.

flying saucers.jpg

Jack Kirby would be proud (thumbsu  This cover drawn by him came to mind when  I saw your latest book. :cloud9:

scan0181.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

11 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Never tried or thought about re-attaching the laminate. I'd be more interested in that than peeling it off. I've only done that on a couple of wacky books where there was very little left and it was folded over and over onto itself and looked horrible. As you mentioned - it usually leaves some residue and the book looks dull. I'd be interested to know of there was a safe way to reattach it.

I might just experiment a little!  hm

9 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Odd...my post disappeared?

Anyway, even though I'm trying not to buy any collectibles right now, this one spoke to me.  A nostalgic Bergey cover in nice shape.  I tried not to buy it.

But that one's a must-have! You did the right thing.... :foryou: