• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,527 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Earthman on Venus is probably the quintessential SciFi cover.

20200422_151756.thumb.jpg.619d98815ea8bd9451054882024d6979.jpg

You're probably  going to see a barrage of Ace Doubles but the classic Avons have the most "pulp sci fi" look to my eye. Here's a few other must haves...

Do we know who did the Earth Man on Venus cover?  It may just be me, but I think "the lost scientist" on the back cover looks a lot like Wally Wood's artwork... which I would normally dismiss as a coincidence if he hadn't done the comic adaptation of the story around this time.

Avon_285_bc.jpg

12 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Do we know who did the Earth Man on Venus cover?  It may just be me, but I think "the lost scientist" on the back cover looks a lot like Wally Wood's artwork... which I would normally dismiss as a coincidence if he hadn't done the comic adaptation of the story around this time.

Avon_285_bc.jpg

Interesting thought. The cover is unattributed in all the price guides but if it could be traced to Wood it would be amazing. I don't think there is any record of it or one of the cataloguers would've found it out. Hancer and Warren guides were both put out a lot closer to the time period than today.