• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,879 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, moonpool said:

So many amazing styles in vintage paperback art.

I know!  It's kind of a revelation after 40 years of collecting comics to find the amazing styles employed on paperbacks.  It's a different thing, but cover illustrations for paperbacks is definitely where the big boys were playing.  Matt Baker is an awesome comic artist with his depiction of women, but he doesn't even come close to Robert Maguire in terms of quality, IMO.  (thumbsu

On 5/7/2020 at 12:30 AM, Randall Dowling said:

I've always wanted a clean copy of this book and finally found one.  Simple but awesome!

IMG_4720.JPG

Dammit, you guys keep pulling me back into this quagmire! I’m trying to work on my OTHER collections!  That’s another one for my “must have” list.  Very nice!  

FWIW, I’ve been doing this long enough that I can spot the “cool AND uncommon “ books.  This one ticks a lot of boxes for me. You’ve got sexy lady in distress, horror, period science fiction and H-bomb references.   Truth is, I’ve made an offer on a cute scruffy copy of this one. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 4:19 PM, Westy Steve said:

Dammit, you guys keep pulling me back into this quagmire! I’m trying to work on my OTHER collections!  That’s another one for my “must have” list.  Very nice!  

FWIW, I’ve been doing this long enough that I can spot the “cool AND uncommon “ books.  This one ticks a lot of boxes for me. You’ve got sexy lady in distress, horror, period science fiction and H-bomb references.   Truth is, I’ve made an offer on a cute scruffy copy of this one. 

Hey, I found this article about the Coming of the Rats book.  Thought you guys might be interested.

https://www.blackgate.com/2013/11/28/vintage-treasures-the-coming-of-the-rats-by-george-h-smith/

Steve

3 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Hey, I found this article about the Coming of the Rats book.  Thought you guys might be interested.

https://www.blackgate.com/2013/11/28/vintage-treasures-the-coming-of-the-rats-by-george-h-smith/

Steve

Thanks for posting that article, here's my Rats book.

coming of the rats.JPG

26 minutes ago, Hap Hazard said:

Thanks for posting that article, here's my Rats book.

coming of the rats.JPG

Wow, it's so thin!  Is the binding stapled like a comic book?  I have a low-grade copy on the way now, myself.  I saw the posting here, and I just had to get one!  I love a book like this that combines a cool cover with genuine rarity (...which brings up my next post topic).

Hey guys,

I don't identify myself as a freshman collector anymore.  I'd like to think I've been doing this long enough, and studying hard enough, to be afforded the privilege of asking this question.  First let me preface it:

What really floats my boat are book covers that are iconic or "fridge magnet-worthy".  Examples are The Coming of the Rats, Marihuana, Black Opium, etc.

The second (and very important) thing that floats my boat are books that are "internet rare"...books that may only have a few available (or none available) on the internet at any given time.  My feeling is that I can always come back later and get the more common stuff, so I should focus on the more difficult stuff now.

The third thing that floats my boat are books that aren't incredibly expensive.  I'll pay up to...say...$200 for something amazing like Marihuana, but after that, I can't justify it (such as William Lee's/Burrough's Ace Double, "Junkie")

So the items on my (slowly shrinking) want list fit in the three-way intersection of all these criteria.  Must be iconic or worthy of a fridge magnet, must be internet rare, and must be within my financial reach.

So my question is, (assuming you already have yours and I'm not competition for you), what would you recommend for my want list?  What books meet the three-way intersection of these criteria?

HUGE thanks in advance for any recommendations and helping out a (now) sophomore collector.

Steve 

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:

Wow, it's so thin!  Is the binding stapled like a comic book?  I have a low-grade copy on the way now, myself.  I saw the posting here, and I just had to get one!  I love a book like this that combines a cool cover with genuine rarity (...which brings up my next post topic).

It's actually a typical paperback binding but it is thinner (I think that photo makes it look a little thinner than it is).  But it's not like some short novels that are stitched (staple bound).  (thumbsu

48 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Hey guys,

I don't identify myself as a freshman collector anymore.  I'd like to think I've been doing this long enough, and studying hard enough, to be afforded the privilege of asking this question.  First let me preface it:

What really floats my boat are book covers that are iconic or "fridge magnet-worthy".  Examples are The Coming of the Rats, Marihuana, Black Opium, etc.

The second (and very important) thing that floats my boat are books that are "internet rare"...books that may only have a few available (or none available) on the internet at any given time.  My feeling is that I can always come back later and get the more common stuff, so I should focus on the more difficult stuff now.

The third thing that floats my boat are books that aren't incredibly expensive.  I'll pay up to...say...$200 for something amazing like Marihuana, but after that, I can't justify it (such as William Lee's/Burrough's Ace Double, "Junkie")

So the items on my (slowly shrinking) want list fit in the three-way intersection of all these criteria.  Must be iconic or worthy of a fridge magnet, must be internet rare, and must be within my financial reach.

So my question is, (assuming you already have yours and I'm not competition for you), what would you recommend for my want list?  What books meet the three-way intersection of these criteria?

HUGE thanks in advance for any recommendations and helping out a (now) sophomore collector.

Steve 

This is a job for @Surfing Alien and @Pat Calhoun.  I'm still learning.  :tonofbricks:

4 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

peak

Just guessing, the 'My Flesh is Sweet' book has a Phantom lady story?  Seriously though, it makes sense that comic book buyers of the 1940's were moving on to the more "adult" PBs.  Funny how paperbacks and magazines were exempted from the strictures of the comics code.  Must have been simply the perception by policy makers that comics were being marketed to kids.