• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,878 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Awesome pickups, SA!!  I have Hard Boiled but the Private Life of a Street Girl just went on my list.  :insane:

"Hard Boiled" is one I always knew as a classic, I'm pretty sure it was pictured in one of the guides, "Private Life" wasn't on my radar until I saw one in an ebay auction a while back that attracted a lot of bidding.

37 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

I like some of those Avon covers.  Most of my Merritt's covers are on pulps.  Schomburg created some sweet paperback covers too.

9522577861_f3566651b1_b.jpg

Thanks for sharing these!  I've been on the hunt for Schomburg covers for both paperbacks and digests for a while now.  I have a few but always looking for others!  Here's another (not my copy, taken from a recent ebay auction).  You guys will laugh, but after decades of collecting comics and always looking for deals on the various Xela covers of Startling, Exciting, Wonder, etc., it wasn't until this year that I put together that Xela is Alex backwards... doh!

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.f18dc6a9afe2210aadadb478ef405a84.jpg

1 hour ago, BB-Gun said:

I like some of those Avon covers.  Most of my Merritt's covers are on pulps.  Schomburg created some sweet paperback covers too.

9522577861_f3566651b1_b.jpg

Very nice copies (thumbsu These 3 cuties for Popular Library are the only ones I know of that Schomburg did in the Golden Age of paperbacks.

He picked up and did some Sci Fi covers in the 60's on but not Good Girls like these.

Johnson likely painted several other of the Avon Golden Age Sci Fi paperbacks. Those attributions are being worked on.

23 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

So I guess part of the new board design is that you can never get rid of an accidentally chosen photo

Go to the top of the post, in the upper right corner there are three dots- ...

That's where they hid the edit function in this design.

Not that I mind seeing the JDM book again!

Edited by OtherEric

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Go to the top of the post, in the upper right corner there are three dots- ...

That's where they hid the edit function in this design.

Not that I mind seeing the JDM book again!

Thanks, I had tried that but the pic kept coming back. I didn't realize you needed to click the right lower corner of the picture in the upload box to get it to dissappear completely. Got it now.

2 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

It's been a quiet few weeks for me, but I did obtain this 1953 Harlequin edition of The Lost World. I had intended to pick up the earlier 1949 Pan edition but I just couldn't get enthused about the cover art.

Lost_World_Harleqin.jpg

Lost_World_Pan.jpg

That's a great copy of that Harlequin! They're usually beat to death!!!

8 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Good to see you're still picking up 🤘

Thanks.  Every once in a while I snag one at a decent price from my ebay saved searches.  Covid has killed my budget since I'm a landlord (not a fun time to be one), but I do look for books from time to time because the price point for these books seems reasonable compared to other stuff I chase...though I am seeing less and less bargains available these days.  Books I used to see for $6 or $7 seem to routinely go for $20 now.  The rarer stuff seems to have disappeared almost completely.