• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,926 posts in this topic

Had to go back and catch up on some of the recent activity in this thread. PopKulture - amazing array of JD and sleaze! (thumbsu

Ive been busy reading quite a few of the PB's I acquired, but noticed I  have not posted this book yet. If you enjoy the sword and sorcery genre I recommend this book for the lead story by Robert Howard. It's only 24 pages long but is the classic origin story for Conan the Barbarian. The story was originally published in 1934 in Weird Tales Magazine.

scan0539.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

A pair of more recent (1960s) italian editions of famous science fiction novels, in our mainstream leading title, "Urania", from my collection.
Digest sized, cover illustrations from "our" most awesome Karel Thole.

Algis Budry's "Man of Earth" (second italian edition, 1962):

l6fj2FPl.jpg

Van Vogt's "The voyage of the Space Beagle" (second italian edition, 1963):

tUFIqOhl.jpg

(click on the pictures to enlarge)

56 minutes ago, vaillant said:

A pair of more recent (1960s) italian editions of famous science fiction novels, in our mainstream leading title, "Urania", from my collection.
Digest sized, cover illustrations from "our" most awesome Karel Thole.

Algis Budry's "Man of Earth" (second italian edition, 1962):

l6fj2FPl.jpg

Van Vogt's "The voyage of the Space Beagle" (second italian edition, 1963):

tUFIqOhl.jpg

(click on the pictures to enlarge)

Wow, these are quite the departure from the pulpish looking covers on the American editions that persisted even into the early 60's. Even the more avant garde Powers covers don't look this modern.

5 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Wow, these are quite the departure from the pulpish looking covers on the American editions that persisted even into the early 60's. Even the more avant garde Powers covers don't look this modern.

Thole (which was a native of Amsterdam, italian by adoption) was quite the "quintessence of modernity" as a concept.
I have collected some of the second and third editions of the same novel just to see which "take" he would give to the following one, and each time he manages to surprise!

As an example, first edition of Heinlein's "Universe" in Urania:
u378.jpg

Reprint, in a following title from the same publisher of Urania:
universo.jpg

As you see, in the first instance he choose to highlight the weirdness of the two-headed mutant (Joe-Jim was called, or something like that) and in the second instance he chose to represent the "generational spaceship", highlighting it as the true protagonist of the novel (as, in some way, it is). These are poor quality pictures, but covers like the one for the Budrys novel that I posted and this one for "Universe" are among my favorites. :)

3 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Cool stuff - here from Heritage catalog is the Val version

img115.jpg

So Jacono basically redid the english UK one?
Which is the original US cover? (both hardback – if present – and paperback)? – I love some of the late 's "mystical" novels covers.