• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,926 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2018 at 6:59 AM, GermanFan said:

I just added this one to my collection. I dont know anything about pulps but I guess its quite rare. Its about gvg. I like the cover. If anyone can provide me with info. Value etc. I am thankful. 

st.JPG

This is issue #1 (there are only 7 issues).  It's uncommon, but not quite as rare as one might think.  Very popular collectible however.  In my last guide (12 years ago) I put this at about $200 (in this condition).  I haven't checked yet to see how much it might have changed since then.  Rumor has it I'm finally working on the 3rd edition.

59 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

This is a big fat book... haven't seen any super clean copies like this that don't have the slight edge bends like this one does but oh well... The cover is so cool...

Image (206).jpg

Definitely tough to find in nice shape!  (thumbsu

18 hours ago, Bookery said:

This is issue #1 (there are only 7 issues).  It's uncommon, but not quite as rare as one might think.  Very popular collectible however.  In my last guide (12 years ago) I put this at about $200 (in this condition).  I haven't checked yet to see how much it might have changed since then.  Rumor has it I'm finally working on the 3rd edition.

Thanks for the info. 

A really cool thing is this late 1940's period when Pocket Books listed, presumably, their total number of copies printed at the top of their books.

I think that number surely is larger than the number of all the books ever privately printed before the paperback revolution...

Image (207).jpg

I think this is one of the best John Dickson Carr/Carter Dickson covers in Pocket Books.

Pocket got a little more experimental and daring starting in the very late 1940's

This is 1949 by Louis Glanzman, who did some cool comic book work (along with his brother, Sam Glanzman) but this is just a really nice composition and detail execution

Image (209).jpg

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

I picked the 'Hinge' as fave partially due to superb novelistic virtues. But all three of these feature his Dr Gideon Fell, an investigator whose cases border on the supernatural.

ig303.jpg

Does that qualify as a "headlight" cover? :insane: