• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,538 posts in this topic

On 5/31/2019 at 10:48 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I  recently took a break from my onslaught of classic sci-fi and read Danger Trail by Theodore Pratt. The book's premise is based on the fact that from 1885 to 1892 mailmen walked most of the 68 miles from Lake Worth to Miami. In real life a mailman by the name of James Hamilton lost his life en-route, presumably to drowning, or due a shark or alligator attack while crossing an inlet.

scan0118.jpg

Just living in Florida back then, without AC, was a danger

On 6/4/2019 at 11:38 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I love a "Tough Doll"

This book is based on the premise that "Even the knowledge that Jon Russell, Steve's best friend, wanted her was not enough to keep Ann from the life of shame to which she dedicated her gorgeous body..."

A checklist compiled online indicates that Erolie Pearl Dern Gaddis had 284 novels published during her lifetime under her various pseudonyms. A wikipedia page boasts that she wrote 3000 words a day, 6 days a week for many years. Talk about laboring in obscurity!

"She went from good, to bad to worse"

On 1/8/2014 at 4:39 PM, Bookery said:

(On the other hand, if a company like CGC did offer a grading service, paperback values would likely skyrocket, particularly with high-grade rarities. And there are even more paperbacks out there than comics, so if it took off, it would be a lucrative endeavor indeed for both the grading company and lucky collectors/dealers sitting on inventories of key items).

You've got that right. I wish CGC would venture into this area; I think they're missing the boat. However, if they ever did slab paperbacks, say goodbye to affordable copies of high grade material...  

On 6/4/2019 at 11:38 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I love a "Tough Doll"

This book is based on the premise that "Even the knowledge that Jon Russell, Steve's best friend, wanted her was not enough to keep Ann from the life of shame to which she dedicated her gorgeous body..."

A checklist compiled online indicates that Erolie Pearl Dern Gaddis had 284 novels published during her lifetime under her various pseudonyms. A wikipedia page boasts that she wrote 3000 words a day, 6 days a week for many years. Talk about laboring in obscurity!

Image (372).jpg

Looks pretty interesting to me...