Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
10 10

1,550 posts in this topic

4,241 posts
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

One of you PB collectors may be able to help with this. I have been looking for a copy of a Science Fiction PB I remember as a kid. I have a very strong memory of the cover which featured a man on a raft poling through a ruined New York like landscape inundated with water. His companion was a cat / tiger hybrid creature. I've searched a couple of paperback conventions for this book but can't seem to yet find out. Ring a bell with anyone? I'd love to get a copy and read again.

You are undoubtedly referring to Daybreak 2250 A.D. I recall reading this as a teen. I read most everything I could by Norton at that time.

Probably due for a re-read as I cannot recall reading it since. lol

I see I missed Pats' post,  :makepoint: but I agree it was one of Norton's better efforts in sci-fi.

scan0340.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

340 posts
7 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Good on you, Surf, for reading 'Enchantress'. It's the best of the 3 original 'Eric John Stark' stories and is another of Leigh's masterpieces.

pstark.JPG

It's pretty cool so far. I like this era of Planet Stories with the Anderson full length space babe covers. These are some of the best. I just got the first one in the mailbox, i'll post it in the pulp thread. The Black Amazon cover is iconic, i'm going to try to find a nice copy for a keeper on that one.

2,463 posts
10 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

for 50yrs: was a childhood fave of mine too and reread as adult: just as glorious...

ig440.jpg

Thanks Pat, That’s the one! I sure remembered that cover; now Ive got the name to search!

2,463 posts
7 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

You are undoubtedly referring to Daybreak 2250 A.D. I recall reading this as a teen. I read most everything I could by Norton at that time.

Probably due for a re-read as I cannot recall reading it since. lol

I see I missed Pats' post,  :makepoint: but I agree it was one of Norton's better efforts in sci-fi.

scan0340.jpg

Thanks sir, I should have asked on here earlier!

340 posts
12 minutes ago, moonpool said:

I'll put in one of my favorite Ace covers.  D-5

d5.jpg

d52.jpg

That's "Evil" of the kind Howlin' Wolf would sing! Nice copy. I don't think i've seen one in person.

340 posts
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, moonpool said:

Bought the 5 and 7 as a pair many years ago.

d7.jpg

d72.jpg

Beautiful. I need to get one. Another "Imagine what it would be worth if that cover was on a comic"

Edited by Surfing Alien
Added thought

424 posts
8 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I've been looking for a better copy of this Bart House H.P. Lovecraft edition of The Dunwich Horror for 30 years but haven't found one. The spine is perfect, which is impossible with this book, but the corner creases still bug me... I'd love to see a better one.

Image (427).jpg

That's a really nice copy.

2,036 posts
24 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I've been looking for a better copy of this Bart House H.P. Lovecraft edition of The Dunwich Horror for 30 years but haven't found one. The spine is perfect, which is impossible with this book, but the corner creases still bug me... I'd love to see a better one.

Image (427).jpg

I would just like to get any copy of the Bart House Lovecrafts!  They just don't turn up much at all.