• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,889 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2019 at 8:44 AM, Surfing Alien said:

For you booty lovers...

"Andy agreed to rescue Sam's beautiful young daughter, Joyce, from the stranglehold of Dope!"

Rainbow's are one of my favorite series and not easy to come by, especially in condition.

Image (374).jpg

Image (375).jpg

It doesn't look too evil to me...  :devil:

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

This one has the second part of "The Cometeers", one of Williamson's Legion of Space stories.  For some reason, that's not the story in the issue people focus on lol:

Astounding_1936_06.jpg

I would imagine Lovecraft's story would be the focus of this pulp. lol

Another thought occurred to me. This cover kind of looks like the progenitor of pac-man, though much better of course. Have to love the green slime trail those 3 eyed creatures are leaving.

5 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

I cannot recall to many sci-fi covers that are art-deco. This book must rank near the top for that sub-category of cover.  :cloud9:

It's a very Juke Box look :)Of books I own, I think Beyond This Horizon fits the category, although more subtle and elegant IMHO.

Image (446).jpg

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

I would imagine Lovecraft's story would be the focus of this pulp. lol

Another thought occurred to me. This cover kind of looks like the progenitor of pac-man, though much better of course. Have to love the green slime trail those 3 eyed creatures are leaving.

It's one of my favorite pulp covers, that's for sure.  Lovecraftian monsters who are also librarians?  I love it so much I had a t-shirt made with the image.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

It's one of my favorite pulp covers, that's for sure.  Lovecraftian monsters who are also librarians?  I love it so much I had a t-shirt made with the image. 

That's great. I need that pulp and a T-Shirt! It is a great cover. So are the Heinlein's even with the somewhat clunky frames. I really need to get the 40's Heinlein pulps. I have a lot of  the 50's - there was a spot in this thread a few years ago where most of them got posted.

I just yesterday found a French language Lovecraft as well as a nifty set of Verne HC in dustjackets and a few others.You folks like to see,mind if I post?I don't want to highjack the thread with more recent stuff,these are just a bit interesting as they were side of the road finds.

Alright!Just need to wait for the lady with the camera to get home and we're on :banana:I do have some 'era' books,I just have not dug them out yet.For some reason this month there's just 'bin' a lot of roadside rubbish/discard finds.(I know,terrible pun)I left behind a lot of later edition Heinlein books as my bag was full and I had most already.My neighbourhood seems to be purging.This isn't free book libraries,it's boxes of books just left out to the mercy of the weather I find on dog walks.When I can I take what I can carry to the shelter of the free book stands.

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Alright!Just need to wait for the lady with the camera to get home and we're on :banana:I do have some 'era' books,I just have not dug them out yet.For some reason this month there's just 'bin' a lot of roadside rubbish/discard finds.(I know,terrible pun)I left behind a lot of later edition Heinlein books as my bag was full and I had most already.My neighbourhood seems to be purging.This isn't free book libraries,it's boxes of books just left out to the mercy of the weather I find on dog walks.When I can I take what I can carry to the shelter of the free book stands.

Roadside book finds. hm  Is this treasure trove of books within walking distance of Mpls? :insane:

4 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I just yesterday found a French language Lovecraft as well as a nifty set of Verne HC in dustjackets and a few others.You folks like to see,mind if I post?I don't want to highjack the thread with more recent stuff,these are just a bit interesting as they were side of the road finds.

All paperbacks are welcome (and hardbacks if they don't get snooty:bigsmile:).

43 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Roadside book finds. hm  Is this treasure trove of books within walking distance of Mpls? :insane:

Mpls?It's in centertown... lol someone's on a family call,so waiting for pics to be sent.But yes,books just dumped on the corner every few blocks the last few days.Folks must be on holiday and cleaning out shelves.I rescued a few dozen Archie digests for the family kids before the rain started this week,dumped at the end of the drive with a bunch of vhs.I guess it's better than just garbage bagging stuff?

Edited by porcupine48
Too many justs,sheesh

Okay,dog walked and I got the images from Mlle Porcupine.

Nothing huge,but one persons trash and all that-this was a one stop find.I'm really happy with the Vonnegut.

The Deerslayer art just grabbed me.And I don't know why my fingers typed Verne when I meant Asimov :flamed:This isn't a series I've read,but now I've the whole thing in one shot it looks like!

!!!!!0.jpg

!!!!!1.jpg

!!!!!!0.jpg

!!!!!3.jpg

I do speak French okay-more of a Quebec Frenglish,so I think this is going to be a real challenge for me to read.My partner pointed out with a laugh,I didn't notice,but it's all French-except 'Dark Fantasy'.Weird.Goes with my Lovecraft collection as an oddball I guess.

Sorry about the icky photo quality,I just noticed the blur.

!!!!!5.jpg

Edited by porcupine48

When I lived in New York there were curb finds galore. But Florida is just a different environment. Most people who live here are younger transplants, so you might get a PS2 in the garbage

The temps will slowly cook vintage paper left in the garage by Gramps so that path is pretty closed as well. As has been said... Thank God for the internet... You just have to surf the channel's that might get missed to find the bargains 

13 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

When I lived in New York there were curb finds galore. But Florida is just a different environment. Most people who live here are younger transplants, so you might get a PS2 in the garbage

The temps will slowly cook vintage paper left in the garage by Gramps so that path is pretty closed as well. As has been said... Thank God for the internet... You just have to surf the channel's that might get missed to find the bargains 

Winter's coming,and at -40C° the curb finds and the book boxes dry up!I think it's the dry heating inside for the many winter months here that must make so many books,comics I come by have paper quality issues.White pages aren't common!I've seen bronze age collections so tan it was shocking.