• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,878 posts in this topic

For those of you who like to “sweat”, my old time buddy John Knight recommended this fine volume to me. A few of you “old timers” might remember John. He hung around with Redbeard and Ritchie Halgua way back in the day. He probably has the best collection of these all in high grade than anyone else I know of. 

Some of you might want to ask the “little woman” to make sure that Santa brings you a copy...hm

780E7224-AC84-4670-BE1B-EAECB2B52339.jpeg

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

But, do me a favor, don’t tell Ricksneatstuff or we will never be able to afford them!

Isn’t that the truth!  I have a bunch of these adventure magazines and they are super cool but very difficult to collect.  Here’s a valuable resource I’ve used for years.  Kind of like the Photo Journal Guide to Adventure Magazines!  Many thanks to Phil Stephensen-Payne for putting it together and maintaining it.  (worship)

http://www.philsp.com/mfi2.html

4 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

I'm with Pat on this - I started with SF and authors I liked - although I do like plenty of lurid genre art. I couldn't see myself leaving my daughter a box of the sweat mags when I croak but she can appreciate the paperbacks, pulps & comics - even the JD and GGA stuff.

She probably already has a better collection of sweat mags than you do anyway.

xD

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Got lucky at the flea market today. A guy had a small box of pb’s today. I grabbed these and was starting on a second look when a guy swooped in and bought the rest. Pretty sure I got the best ones.

I just don’t see these in the wild much anymore. 

3F3FD99F-4CA5-46B0-B1B4-A51667E90A11.jpeg

46FF87C7-A35B-4A6B-85F5-902E708F6BCB.jpeg

Great haul! Case of the Seven Sneezes is just about the top of the GGA-line for Dell Mapbacks

11 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Got lucky at the flea market today. A guy had a small box of pb’s today. I grabbed these and was starting on a second look when a guy swooped in and bought the rest. Pretty sure I got the best ones.

I just don’t see these in the wild much anymore. 

3F3FD99F-4CA5-46B0-B1B4-A51667E90A11.jpeg

46FF87C7-A35B-4A6B-85F5-902E708F6BCB.jpeg

Some haul Robot :headbang:

On 11/30/2019 at 3:01 PM, Bookery said:

Agreed.  I have owned my shop for 35 years... I have had every silver-age comic come through multiple times, thousands of golden-age comics, vast quantities of vintage paperbacks, old movie posters, even pulps going back to the 1920s... but in all of that time I have never had a collection of the sweat mags come in.  One or two might be in with some other stuff, but never a collection per se.  I never see them at shows either.  I recall seeing them on the newsstand racks in the ealy '60s, and they seemed to be everywhere.  So what happened to them?

I think they got thrown out more because nobody thought they were worth anything and a lot of people perceived them as a bit seedy, and were thus embarrassed that a family member had them.  (shrug)

On 11/30/2019 at 3:02 PM, lbcolefan said:

They have a small but very aggressive following. I was always competing against the same 4 or 5 bidders.

Right you are about that limited but aggressive pool of bidders. It doesn't take many people to create the illusion of widespread demand.  2c

I warned my friend similarly when he was going after a complete set of the original Tom Swift's in fine-ish dust jackets. He observed that prices were rocketing up as he was acquiring the bulk of his, and I casually suggested that, to some extent, he was the market. When he stopped buying them, prices came back down observedly. 

Same thing happens every few years with antique cigar boxes, which I collect. A few new buyers come in and spread more money around, and prices spike for a while before they lose interest and the prices retreat noticeably. 

I think to some extent we are seeing that with niche genres like Dan DeCarlo covers and some other GGA, and mind you, it can happen with Cole, Baker and PCH (like it has before).  :preach: