• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,527 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Never seen that before.  I like the cover art but it’s an exceptionally bold choice for content!

It’s a popular one because of that. I’ve seen a lot of talk about that one on message boards before...lol

Decent copy of the Reform School Girl digest popped up on the 'bay this weekend and sold fairly quickly for $525. My current copy is better so I didn't go after it but think that's a healthy price in that condition. It's only the 3rd copy I've seen for sale in the last 2 years and was definitely better than the others.

It is so relatively cheap for the top book in the hobby.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REFORM-SCHOOL-GIRL-Original-1948-Paperback-Pulp-VG-F-/223887430826?hash=item3420bb14aa%3Ag%3A0GwAAOSwjONeM7EN&nma=true&si=%2BCwMXSPY5ifUqQhzlTLRG7k%2FZNg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

14 minutes ago, moonpool said:

Definitely an inexpensive hobby.  I'd agree top tier, even though photo covers are not for me, but NN Good Earth I would rank first, imo

There's no doubt that the Good Earth NN Pocket Book is probably the rarest USA paperback. I think in the long haul though, there will be a better market for GGA/SOTI type books like Reform School Girl for the same "titillating" reasons those kinds of books do so well in the comic market.

I do collect Pocket's & would love to have one but I view the Good Earth (and the first 10 Pocket Book 1st Prints) kind of like the more innocent early pre-hero comic books that are historically important and rare but not going to excite cover collectors and so not the same market.

That said, I have no idea what a copy would sell for since they never come to market.