• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

90's varient covers Starting to Skyrocket

92 posts in this topic

I feel dirty all over (again) . . .

I really think that Probies and HOSers should be banned from participating, but hey, that's just a crazy idyllic streak in me . . . meh

Careful divad, or he'll "hump the button" on you and cry that you're trolling him. lol

Careful, one and all, there be a member of the Hall of Shame in our midst. (thumbs u

There, my community service is done for the day. Nothing like looking out for our honest, fellow collectors, we don't want them to fall victim to a known shyster. :D

That Japanese Spider-Man # 1 is awesome!

I thought I was cool for having a Japanese Spawn # 1 (still sealed), but dang...

Some more Spiderman #1s......

I got a Poland Edition but no pics just yet i need to dig it out and reshoot my entire set......

C360_2013-05-05-16-55-21_zps1824b83c.jpg

C360_2013-05-05-16-55-05_org_zps447d61e8.jpg

I'm not quite sure I'd call any of these "variants". Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are really only foreign editions of their American counterparts, no?

Cool, absolutely yes :grin: .

Variant, eh.... Not really..... (shrug)

I feel dirty all over (again) . . .

I really think that Probies and HOSers should be banned from participating, but hey, that's just a crazy idyllic streak in me . . . meh

just put him on ignore, then you don't have to see and scroll past his nonstop pictures of foreign editions

I'm not quite sure I'd call any of these "variants". Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are really only foreign editions of their American counterparts, no?

I really wish people would stop bastardizing the word "variant" to mean "anything different from the USA" and try to understand that in Canada, UK, Europe, etc. our comics are "regular" to us.

A "variant" is a comic that is different from the standard edition printed in that country, and was sold on the exact same shelves.

I really wish people would stop bastardizing the word "variant" to mean "anything different from the USA" and try to understand that in Canada, UK, Europe, etc. our comics are "regular" to us.

A "variant" is a comic that is different from the standard edition printed in that country, and was sold on the exact same shelves.

(thumbs u

THIS is a variant...

Tick2variantfront.jpg

The word variation is more fitting than calling these books variants.

The word variation is more fitting than calling these books variants.

No, they are standard Canadian, UK, European, Mexican, Philippine, etc. editions, no variation from any other comic on the stand.

:gossip: It's easy to understand the distinction when you realize that the sun doesn't revolve around the US.

It's also the case that many "foreign editions" are also reprints from months or years later than the originals.

Canada excluded, of course, since a slight pricing difference was no problem and since many U.S. books were printed on Canadian equipment.

I'm talking about the more "exotic" books like Poland, Greece, Italy, Phillipines, etc.

While the Silver Age "pence copies" were printed on the same machines at the same time as the U.S. versions, a lot of the 1990s foreign editions were printed a year or two later, by a licensing company in each country (such as "Play Press" in Italy) and after the art and lettering could be changed, and probably after it was determined which books sold well enough to bother with foreign reprints.

It's easy to wait a few months (or years) and see which books are worth licensing and reprinting in another language.

Sure, there are foreign versions of Man of Steel #18, Spider-man #1, and Amazing Spider-man #300, but does anyone know if there are also foreign versions of nothing-happened books like Man of Steel #16, Spider-man #4, or Amazing Spider-man #302?

I get the impression that foreign editions were mostly "wait-and-see, greatest hits, reprints".

To get back to the Silver Age comparison, that makes 1990s foreign editions much closer to 1966 Golden Record Reprints than 1962 original pence copies.

Which mcfarlane spiderman #1 cover is the money cover?

I know one is worth a lot more than the other 12

probably the rarest 90s variants.....

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_361_Variant_Russian_zps91e6161a.jpg

2013-05-01_14-27-20_754_zps154984b1.jpg

given away for free in local Newspapers in Ankara, Republic of Turkey...

C360_2013-05-05-16-55-55_zps8648bbc1.jpg

Are they worth anything?

I know a lot of Magic the gathering cards from other countries can be worth a lot

I get the impression that foreign editions were mostly "wait-and-see, greatest hits, reprints".

hm

That makes a lot of sense.[/quote

some yes but full runs were printed of superman, batman, spiderman, & X-men some dating to 1949.

They are not just reprinting keys only.

My favorites are ASM129, Superman 76, Batman 227, & all 4 Flash races....

There only worth what a collector will pay for foreign variants. Personally I stay away from these books, but some sellers/buyers live this market.

I got into foreign because there isn't a whole lot of American books I seek. My original collection of golden silver and bronze is about 14,000 books all bought from 1984-1992 as a kid. I came back in 2012 and don't care for moderns the artwork and computer graphics are terrible especially that new ASM#1 by Humberto....

Give me Swan, Neal Adams, George Perez, Infantino anyday in any language over the modern keyless drek.

There only worth what a collector will pay for foreign variants. Personally I stay away from these books, but some sellers/buyers live this market.

I got into foreign because there isn't a whole lot of American books I seek. My original collection of golden silver and bronze is about 14,000 books all bought from 1984-1992 as a kid. I came back in 2012 and don't care for moderns the artwork and computer graphics are terrible especially that new ASM#1 by Humberto....

Give me Swan, Neal Adams, George Perez, Infantino anyday in any language over the modern keyless drek.

I like the old artwork 60's & 70's

My favorite is the mid 80's-1993

John Byrne is one of my favorite artists

Could someone start talking about (adjectiveless) X-Men #'s 62 & #100 variants to drive up prices?

Please??

The #62 was a 1:4, but the #100 had many variant covers, the one I have is the 1:20 Pacheco variant.

:D

(What I am really saying here is, not all 90's variants are going up.)

;)

-slym

Could someone start talking about (adjectiveless) X-Men #'s 62 & #100 variants to drive up prices?

Please??

The #62 was a 1:4, but the #100 had many variant covers, the one I have is the 1:20 Pacheco variant.

:D

(What I am really saying here is, not all 90's variants are going up.)

;)

-slym

I never said all were going up in value

As the years go on I'm sure a lot more will go up even if it's just a few $$