• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

90's varient covers Starting to Skyrocket

92 posts in this topic

Picked up an Adventures Of Superman 498 4th print in a dollar bin today, there haven't been any on ebay in months. No clue what the price range is on that one

Try finding the DC Universe UPC editions of books from this time period. They are impossible to find and are often pretty beat up.

Books from this era are a different species when compared to most other eras. Because of an over abundance of collector grade first prints, the thrill of the hunt is gone. Collectors want the hunt so they have migrated to second prints because they are harder to find and much harder to find in high grade. Unlike the variants of the chromium age, these are not manufactured collectables, in fact they are the opposite. These are the throw away copies.

The registry also helps fuel the lust for these books, I think for a lot of these later prints, people didn't have any idea how tough they were until they tried to complete the registry.

Which makes copper books the most funnest of all! :acclaim:

+1

This statement makes sense to me.

Books from this era are a different species when compared to most other eras. Because of an over abundance of collector grade first prints, the thrill of the hunt is gone. Collectors want the hunt so they have migrated to second prints because they are harder to find and much harder to find in high grade. Unlike the variants of the chromium age, these are not manufactured collectables, in fact they are the opposite. These are the throw away copies.

The registry also helps fuel the lust for these books, I think for a lot of these later prints, people didn't have any idea how tough they were until they tried to complete the registry.

most of the dealers i ask at the California shows dont even know there were 2nd-5th printings. I found the top 3 copies for 50 cent bin, $1 bin, and $1 bin.

They are out there floating around.

20140111_171257_zpseef34946.jpg

most of the dealers i ask at the California shows dont even know there were 2nd-5th printings. I found the top 3 copies for 50 cent bin, $1 bin, and $1 bin.

don't forget this one,

e34463bf-3b8c-426d-acc3-adf0f09c1c17_zpsbea9d22f.jpg

don't forget this one,

e34463bf-3b8c-426d-acc3-adf0f09c1c17_zpsbea9d22f.jpg

I KNOW :( did you pick your up for cheap?

i am still searching nonchalantly for 3rd-5th prints....

as a kid my MOS18 was pulled and picked up on a Thursday back in Houston. I never knew back then their were 2-5th prints. I rarely went into my local comic shop as they pulled all my weekly books for pickup...

There is a pretty rare Warsaw Edition printed in Poland im trying find but getting anything out that country is proving difficult

Picked up an Adventures Of Superman 498 4th print in a dollar bin today, there haven't been any on ebay in months. No clue what the price range is on that one

Try finding the DC Universe UPC editions of books from this time period. They are impossible to find and are often pretty beat up.

:whistle:

I never realized that Chuck and MileHigh comics were so far ahead of the curve with the "DC Universe" books. The prices on their normal books is crazy, the prices on their newsstand copies are beyond ridiculous, and the prices for the "DCU" books is waaaayyyy out there. Yet, I bet they would only pay a nickle a piece for a NM+ copy. lol

I never realized that Chuck and MileHigh comics were so far ahead of the curve with the "DC Universe" books. The prices on their normal books is crazy, the prices on their newsstand copies are beyond ridiculous, and the prices for the "DCU" books is waaaayyyy out there. Yet, I bet they would only pay a nickle a piece for a NM+ copy. lol

About three to four years ago Mile High started really pushing the 'Direct vs Newsstand' story. Before that, I would get either a Direst or Newsstand example when ordering a book, without even knowing what was on the way.

Did a search and couldn't find anything. How can you tell a copper book is a newsstand edition? I read about the slash through the barcode on bronze books but is there a way to tell on books a little later. Moderns have it written "newsstand" or "direct" right? But the copper and later bronze? How about those?

Did a search and couldn't find anything. How can you tell a copper book is a newsstand edition? I read about the slash through the barcode on bronze books but is there a way to tell on books a little later. Moderns have it written "newsstand" or "direct" right? But the copper and later bronze? How about those?

In the UPC area, barcode versus image became the norm to distinguish between Direct and Newsstand.

If you have an 80s comic with a UPC code it is a newstand version. If it has a logo or a phrase (e.g. "Who watches the Watchmen.") in the UPC box, it is a direct edition.

The first copy is a newsstand edition.The second copy is direct edition and a 2nd print. :grin:

144133.jpg.6d1a9391c5e2dca23a9b94718d134c5c.jpg

144134.jpg.4fcd9bf4f83da36c9d4ccc35a5227b78.jpg

About three to four years ago Mile High started really pushing the 'Direct vs Newsstand' story. Before that, I would get either a Direst or Newsstand example when ordering a book, without even knowing what was on the way.

I was at their mega store just outside Denver, CO last summer. I had no idea what their prices would be like, so, I was shocked to see the difference in newsstand copies (higher price) over direct editions. I only looked at Superman books from the late 80s and early 90s, I didn't even want to know how crazy the prices would me on the Marvel books.

The first copy is a newsstand edition.The second copy is direct edition and a 2nd print. :grin:

I picked up 25 sets of the Carnage Part 1-3 when i t first came out at my local shop a good little investment of $93.75

my mum was not amused

I agree that the mile high prices are insane. As far as the upc DC Universe editions they are very very hard to find. I have been collecting them for a few years and I can say I have never found a NM copy of any issue other than Flash 92 ( first Impulse ). There are a lot of key issues that have the DC Universe upc which makes them fun to hunt for.