• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-level panel page valuations by artist/run - thoughts/additions/changes?
5 5

425 posts in this topic

Is there a consensus (or interest?) to add J. Scott Campbell Gen-13 in the $3k-$5k category? That price seems unprecedented, but it’s not a market I follow closely. 

Remember, verify with comps or it’s just self-interest :whistle:

0B8A7504-12A2-417D-BD20-D56E664CD143.jpeg

9 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Give it some time. People aren't panic-selling yet. 

Also, if and when they do, it's not likely to be the A-Level pages that get sold off to fund a 48-pack of toilet paper.

What I am seeing, however, is some discounting by artists for commissions and artists who don't generally don't do them looking for work. I have mixed feelings about accepting a discounted price from an artist Everyone likes a bargain, but I don't want to feel that someone is shortchanging themselves, or they may be producing substandard work because of it.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 11/24/2020 at 5:08 AM, gumbydarnit said:

It's about time to work on an update.. where to start?

Where would you say values are for A-Level Byrne X-Men or Bolland Killing Joke pages? 

I think Byrne X-men B pages are in the 30+ range now.  A pages would draw above 40.

On 11/24/2020 at 11:53 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Recent auction sales point to McSpidey pages getting a bump up, likewise (ugh) Larsen Spidey pages

Ditko Hulk pages are due for a bump up

Come to think of it, I don't see anything actually needing to decrease? (shrug)

This is hard to pin down, since I don’t follow the prices on lots of artist/subject combinations, but my sense is that artist/subject pieces which are not popular have somewhat dropped. For example, I am surprised how cheaply Mike Kaluta’s pieces from his run on Madam Xanadu having been selling—many of which are excellent examples of his skill. I know, and have pointed out, that Aparo’s average pieces on the Phantom Stranger have dropped. My guess is there are quite a few others which fall in this category. Market bifurcation may be at play here, suggesting there may also be newer combinations on the rise.

On 11/24/2020 at 10:53 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Recent auction sales point to McSpidey pages getting a bump up, likewise (ugh) Larsen Spidey pages

The 'talking heads' have kindly reminded all of us 'collectors' that "this is like one data point" & "it doesn't quite work [that way]"...

So, to paraphrase, the recent $120k sale of the ASM 328 page is not a reliable data point for collectors to use when attempting to valuate their Mcfarlane Spider-Man art work. Be mindful of sudden "knee-jerk reactions" when valuating your examples based on this result, leave pricing and sales to the 'professionals', & please do not try this at home. 

[Ironically, many 'dealers' reference the most recent Heritage Auctions sales results when explaining their asking price for an example of original comic book art by the same artist. Sometimes the 'comp' is also from the same comic book series & timeframe, when available.]

3 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

The 'talking heads' have kindly reminded all of us 'collectors' that "this is like one data point" & "it doesn't quite work [that way]"...

So, to paraphrase, the recent $120k sale of the ASM 328 page is not a reliable data point for collectors to use when attempting to valuate their Mcfarlane Spider-Man art work. Be mindful of sudden "knee-jerk reactions" when valuating your examples based on this result, leave pricing and sales to the 'professionals', & please do not try this at home. 

[Ironically, many 'dealers' reference the most recent Heritage Auctions sales results when explaining their asking price for an example of original comic book art by the same artist. Sometimes the 'comp' is also from the same comic book series & timeframe, when available.]

And yet, if you re-read my post, you will note that I stated sales (plural) and pages (plural).

On 11/24/2020 at 8:10 AM, gumbydarnit said:

And we should add Tradd Moore Silver Surfer Black pages are they valued at 5K or 6K or more?

I think 5k-6k is the floor for "C" pages (is anything a C page in this book?). "A" level interior pages are in the 10k-20k range. I remember Felix mentioning the last page of issue 5 re-sold for 5 figures privately post-drop, I've seen asks for at least one DPS that sold privately, and I know the offers I've turned down for my page (Issue #5, Page 1). I wouldn't be shocked if the "A" pages are moving north of that range.

edit: clarified that the sales I know of were private sales post-drops

Edited by Varanis

On 11/30/2020 at 7:07 PM, stinkininkin said:

I get the feeling that A level Watchmen pages would probably move up to the 40k and above levels, and A level Rorschach pages for sure.

Well with a single panel page going for $66K two weeks ago...I would say to trust that feeling..

Link

On 11/24/2020 at 8:08 AM, gumbydarnit said:

It's about time to work on an update.. where to start?

Where would you say values are for A-Level Byrne X-Men or Bolland Killing Joke pages? 

Market has seen exponential growth in the past year.  Many of the prices need to go up quite a bit.  You won't get an A level KJ page for under 120k these days.  And A level Ditko ASM is hitting 6 figures now too.  We should start at the top and figure out what is 100K plus, 80K plus, 60K plus, 40K plus, 20K plus, then 10-20, 5-10, 2-5.  Yes, we are there now with prices. Some areas have had serious growth such as Miller (everything), the entire IG/Perez/Lim market, Watchmen A level pages, and Dark Knight.  You cannot find an A level DK page these days for sure, such that they would hit 80-100K now I think.  Let's get some discussion going.

I've been MIA for some years, but I have some time this week.  Hope my friends are all well on here!

3 hours ago, heartened said:

Market has seen exponential growth in the past year.  Many of the prices need to go up quite a bit.  You won't get an A level KJ page for under 120k these days.  And A level Ditko ASM is hitting 6 figures now too.  We should start at the top and figure out what is 100K plus, 80K plus, 60K plus, 40K plus, 20K plus, then 10-20, 5-10, 2-5.  Yes, we are there now with prices. Some areas have had serious growth such as Miller (everything), the entire IG/Perez/Lim market, Watchmen A level pages, and Dark Knight.  You cannot find an A level DK page these days for sure, such that they would hit 80-100K now I think.  Let's get some discussion going.

I've been MIA for some years, but I have some time this week.  Hope my friends are all well on here!

Hari! Miss you and your insight around here buddy!

7 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Hari! Miss you and your insight around here buddy!

You too Scott!  Life and work, you know the drill!  Maybe you, me and Gene can take a crack at updating this and re-posting?  Is there a way to pin it somewhere if that hasn't been done before?  Turns out pricing A level panel pages for top artists has been a great way to extrapolate down to B and C pages and extrapolate up to covers.  Maybe we can have this somewhere on CAF too for everyone to reference.

Shoot me a PM and let's catch up when you get a chance.  You should have my cell, but if not I can give it to you there.  Can put you, me and Gene together on a text thread to hash this out.  We can definitely handle the higher end of this list, but may have to get a few people to tackle what's been newer and hot.