• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-level panel page valuations by artist/run - thoughts/additions/changes?
5 5

425 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

All of this is academic to me as I do not have any of these pages, and am very unlikely to ever own one at these prices. 

Everything seems to be going up, so just keep collecting what you love and I'm pretty sure it'll end up on this list one day.  Entering at the bottom and moving up.  Sometimes things pop in and move up extremely fast.  Just look at BWS Weapon X.  Wasn't even on this list when we created it about 6 years ago!

1 hour ago, heartened said:

Everything seems to be going up, so just keep collecting what you love and I'm pretty sure it'll end up on this list one day.  Entering at the bottom and moving up.  Sometimes things pop in and move up extremely fast.  Just look at BWS Weapon X.  Wasn't even on this list when we created it about 6 years ago!

Yup, but that's because no public sales of panel pages from 2010 - 2017.  Covers & splashes sold during this period, but not panel pages.  At least, none I can recall.

49 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yup, but that's because no public sales of panel pages from 2010 - 2017.  Covers & splashes sold during this period, but not panel pages.  At least, none I can recall.

True, but that's probably because people didn't think panel pages are auction house -worthy.  They definitely changed hands.  I sold two consecutive pages privately during that time period.  Bought them together for 4K.

Also, the series wasn't ripe until now.  There's generally a 25-30 year rule of when nostalgia, large readership, and disposable income merge together.  Explains why early 90s is really hot right now (IG, WX, McSpidey, etc.). 

Edited by heartened

Thanks to Hari for spearheading the update. Would love to get as much feedback as possible. There are examples that will probably need to get moved up or down. There are some instances where if I was presented with a true A level page and it was priced at the top of the range currently posted, I'd buy it instantly (which is telling). There are probably some examples that are priced a little bit on high side. Let's work through it. Suggestions? Let's hear em!

Edited by stinkininkin

Quick changes I would make. Dump 3-5k.....the list is far far too large to really even bother trying to keep accurate and 5k is what 1k was a couple years ago.

Infantino Flash is one or two pegs higher.

Any A level main run Sandman page is 10-20k regardless of artist, Keith and Dringenberg are probably a peg higher.

Sale TLH/DV should be $5-10k only A+ pages are 10-20k.

Moore SSB should 100% be on the list at 10-20k, And while we are talking about Surfer add Moebius Surfer at probably the above $40k mark?

Looks pretty sharp to me - always needs to be reinforced that this is for A pages...would be cool to have some multiplier range for other tiers

If we keep $3 - 5K, how about Giffen LOS Great Darkness Saga pages?

2X Kirby feels a bit high...

A nit, I am not sure it makes sense to split out $125k vs. $100K...it is all you better do some serious thinking!

Would be great to see the list alpha by artist - title

Mark

This is an increedibly useful list.  One problem I have with it is that it seems that the definition of A gets diluted as you go towards the bottom.

I will try to explain myself better.  In the top part the list seems to make reference to truly exceptional pages, stuff that we hardly see publicly.  A few examples: 2UP Kirby FF at >80k, JByrne UXM >60k, JLee UXM 20-30k, JBuscema Silver Surfer at 20-30k.  Now I have not seen those levels in the pages going through auctions, even strong examples.  So are the people who drew the list referring to private deals involving pages of even a superior quality? A couple of examples would be really helpful, so as to have a good reference for more "normal" (and yet strong) pages.

The problem is less acute towards the bottom, probably because you have fewer historical / redefining moments in those, lower rated runs.

As to comments, I agree Kirby 2x FF seems high at >80k.  Interiors (including a half splash with Doom) from FF 56 were at 55-65k in 2018 (Heritage).  I would call them A pages.  Do people think that Kirby 2x up FF has increased by 50% in 2 years?

I also would separate out Byrne Iron Fist / Avengers 1st run / MTU  from Byrne Alpha Flight.  I doubt two pages of similar quality would fetch similar prices. I also think Byrne FF at 10-20k seems high, unless we are talking about top top pages (like full FF vs Galactus or something like that).  So we are back to my comment at the top.

Great discussion!  I will update the list tonight after more comments and see what people think.  Let's keep building consensus on pricing.  I agree Kirby seems high and we need to add Sienkiewicz.  Also agree about splitting out Byrne art, but are we saying Alpha Flight is higher or lower than the others?    As for dropping or keeping the 3-5K range, I think it's important to keep it, if for no other reason than for people to see what is relatively affordable yet still in demand.

Thanks everyone!  Happy New Year!!

12 hours ago, malvin said:

I'll throw one:

1. I think Tim Sale Dark Victory and Long Halloween pages no longer have a valuation gap, they are the same now I think.

2. A pretty good splash just sold on ebay for 13K.  I don't think an A level panel page is 10-20K based on that.  I could accept $10K though.

Malvin

Yeah, I think Tim Sale LH is probably on the borderline between $5-$10K and $10-$20K at this point.  It was my call to put it in the higher tier but it could very well be at the high end of the previous tier. I just thought that no one will sell true A pages for mid-4 figures anymore.  But, I'm fine with ratcheting it back down one notch as per your & @NinjaSealed's suggestion.

12 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

Quick changes I would make. Dump 3-5k.....the list is far far too large to really even bother trying to keep accurate and 5k is what 1k was a couple years ago

Good point - there's too much stuff to keep track of sub-$5K.  I think $5-10K is where the list starts to get really useful.

9 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

2X Kirby feels a bit high..

I feel strongly that JIM 2-up pages should be in the $20-30K bucket, as I feel like there are only a small handful of pages that would sell $30K+. I didn't have a good handle on some of the other Kirby stuff so I didn't object to their placement. 

Minor add that pages with the hero and a main villian command a premium and it they are battling, they command a premium above that.  I think the higher value pages could certainly be parsed out where a Ditko ASM page with Spidey on the page is >100 but if a villian is on it with Spidey its >125 and if they are battling its >150.

4 hours ago, heartened said:

Great discussion!  I will update the list tonight after more comments and see what people think.  Let's keep building consensus on pricing.  I agree Kirby seems high and we need to add Sienkiewicz.  Also agree about splitting out Byrne art, but are we saying Alpha Flight is higher or lower than the others?    As for dropping or keeping the 3-5K range, I think it's important to keep it, if for no other reason than for people to see what is relatively affordable yet still in demand.

Thanks everyone!  Happy New Year!!

I would put Byrne IF, MTU and early Avengers safely in the 10-20k range, considering the quality level of an A page assumed in the list. AF can stay in the 5-10k range. 

McFarlane/Spawn pages probably shouldn't be included in the $3-5k category, unless it's referring to his inks? (this may be the case, but I was under the impression this was mostly a pencillers list). McFarlane doesn't have any penciled Spawn pages in the marketplace, but there are a lot of Capullo penciled pages with McFarlane inks.