• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-level panel page valuations by artist/run - thoughts/additions/changes?
5 5

425 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Minor add that pages with the hero and a main villian command a premium and it they are battling, they command a premium above that.  I think the higher value pages could certainly be parsed out where a Ditko ASM page with Spidey on the page is >100 but if a villian is on it with Spidey its >125 and if they are battling its >150.

Hey Dave.  I think this is all inherent to what an A panel page is, no?  One would assume an A page has Spidey on it.  Probably an A+ page is the one that's a battle page between Spidey and a major villain.  We try to imply content based on the rating otherwise we will be here all day on every single artist/title.

Looking through the list once more, I think we've missed noting the world's greatest artist, Sal Buscema.  I'm surprised the Sal army has been so quiet about his exclusion from the list, but its safe to say that at the very least his A-level examples of 1st run PPtSS, Avengers. and Incredible Hulk pages should make the list.  Just not sure at what price points.

6 minutes ago, heartened said:

Yes, but we need people to suggest and support price ranges please .... ahem.

Dang it Hari! I knew you were gonna ask me that! Outside my wheelhouse. I'll try and contribute to some other categories that I'm better versed. That said, how much of a premium would be placed on Romita inks on Kane Spiderman versus everyone else? Might be a tier changer. Any other inker designations we should focus on? Sinnott over Kirby (probably not a vast pricing difference). Wood inked Avengers pages? Probably WOULD be a difference maker. Klaus Janson? Janson over our pal Sal Buscema on Defenders for example would inspire me to pay significantly more (if I collected this material) than otherwise. 

Sorry I'm not coming up with numbers for you yet. Will think some more.

Anyone with expertise in a particular market category, please add your knowledge and opinion where applicable!

1 minute ago, stinkininkin said:

Dang it Hari! I knew you were gonna ask me that! Outside my wheelhouse. I'll try and contribute to some other categories that I'm better versed. That said, how much of a premium would be placed on Romita inks on Kane Spiderman versus everyone else? Might be a tier changer. Any other inker designations we should focus on? Sinnott over Kirby (probably not a vast pricing difference). Wood inked Avengers pages? Probably WOULD be a difference maker. Klaus Janson? Janson over our pal Sal Buscema on Defenders for example would inspire me to pay significantly more (if I collected this material) than otherwise. 

Sorry I'm not coming up with numbers for you yet. Will think some more.

Anyone with expertise in a particular market category, please add your knowledge and opinion where applicable!

I thought about the inker aspect, but again would be inherent in what makes it an A panel page.  On some runs, a less important inker would drop it to a B page.  Kirby Sinnott FF is an A page, but the content might push it to A+.  Without Sinnott, most pages would struggle to be an A page.  At least that's how I'm interpreting the role of the inker.  As for Kane, I'm not personally sure it matters much anymore.  He has evolved as a great ASM artist on his own, with or without Romita Sr IMO.

18 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

Moore SSB should 100% be on the list at 10-20k.

I can vouch for Tradd Moore SSB at 10-20k, but there are no public comps. Not sure if it's better to wait for public comps (and a little time) before saying it's definitely 10-20k.

9 minutes ago, Varanis said:

I can vouch for Tradd Moore SSB at 10-20k, but there are no public comps. Not sure if it's better to wait for public comps (and a little time) before saying it's definitely 10-20k.

We can probably have Felix comment if he shows up.... since he sold a bunch of the pages and probably knows the market.

40 minutes ago, heartened said:

We can probably have Felix comment if he shows up.... since he sold a bunch of the pages and probably knows the market.

He sold them a lot lower than they ended up reselling for privately, but I'm pretty certain he'd be privy to as many or more of the private sales as I've seen and would be able to verify/counter.

For what it's worth, in my Pricing Comic Art - Update thread, I keep the latest information in the first post since it can be edited. That makes the latest information easy to find. I think put explanatory information in a post at the bottom of the thread. You might consider doing the same.

Edited by alxjhnsn

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

For what it's worth, in my Pricing Comic Art - Update thread, I keep the latest information in the first post since it can be edited. That makes the latest information easy to find. I think put explanatory information in a post at the bottom of the thread. You might consider doing the same.

DONE: Started a new thread.

Everyone, I went ahead and started a Part 2 thread on this topic with the new updated list.  This way we can leave this thread and I can update the other newer thread over time while keeping the updated valuations pinned to the first post forever.  That way it's easy to see what the new consensus is. 

Please go over there and continue discussing on that thread.

We should ALL thank Lago32 for this idea in 2014!

On 12/31/2020 at 1:57 PM, heartened said:

There was a frenzy on the secondary market after we sold the art that I really thought would have subsided by now. It hasn't. It only seems to have gotten worse. I've never seen anything like this before. It baffles even me.

Having said that...it still feels too new to include here. The people who are hunting it know what it's worth to them. Let's wait a bit, at least for a public sale or two to solidify things for everyone.

I did just broker a deal for a cover, and once that deal is done, I will make the purchase price public. You guys can then decide if that means anything relative to page values.

8 hours ago, Nexus said:

There was a frenzy on the secondary market after we sold the art that I really thought would have subsided by now. It hasn't. It only seems to have gotten worse. I've never seen anything like this before. It baffles even me.

Having said that...it still feels too new to include here. The people who are hunting it know what it's worth to them. Let's wait a bit, at least for a public sale or two to solidify things for everyone.

I did just broker a deal for a cover, and once that deal is done, I will make the purchase price public. You guys can then decide if that means anything relative to page values.

Thanks Felix, I'll cut and paste your response to the new thread.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:24 PM, heartened said:

I thought about the inker aspect, but again would be inherent in what makes it an A panel page.  On some runs, a less important inker would drop it to a B page.  Kirby Sinnott FF is an A page, but the content might push it to A+.  Without Sinnott, most pages would struggle to be an A page.  At least that's how I'm interpreting the role of the inker.  As for Kane, I'm not personally sure it matters much anymore.  He has evolved as a great ASM artist on his own, with or without Romita Sr IMO.

Some inkers add so much that there is a premium for their inks. Williamson over Frazetta, for instance. Wrightson over anyone is another. One you don't hear about too often is Bill Everett over Kirby. I had some of the Thor pages by that pair and they were some of the best pages I'd ever seen.