• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greggy's new CGC auctions!

204 posts in this topic

Shill bids duly entered. thumbsup2.gif
gossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifthumbsup2.gif

Loathe, absolutely loathe, "shill bids". If you have an intent to buy then make a freaking bid to buy. But don't jack up the price for ANYONE - even a best friend. We want to know what books are going for? Then cut out the "shill crapola" and let the book stand on its own freaking feet.

This concept ticks me off even more than scam auctions. Why? Because the people involved know better but make intentional bids to just jack up a price.

I DO get it but will never ever agree to it.

Loathe, absolutely loathe, "shill bids". If you have an intent to buy then make a freaking bid to buy. But don't jack up the price for ANYONE - even a best friend. We want to know what books are going for? Then cut out the "shill crapola" and let the book stand on its own freaking feet.

This concept ticks me off even more than scam auctions. Why? Because the people involved know better but make intentional bids to just jack up a price.

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Small shill bids just to "start it out" that are below 25-50% of what it should probably sell for are a problem?

confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Small shill bids just to "start it out" that are below 25-50% of what it should probably sell for are a problem?

confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Why "just to start it out" at all? How often do some of the shiull bidders bid on ebay? Do some people follow their bids thinking they know something?

And the real bottom line to your comment - if the bids are just to "start it out" at 25-50% of what it "should" sell for? Two questions would appreciate an answer to:

1) If the bids are so much lower than what it "should sell for" then why even enter the shill bid?

2) Would the book go for as much without the shill bids? If "No", then no need for them. If "Yes", then the shill bids artificially hiked the price.

Would genuinely like an answer to these questions.

I thank you.

::rats! edit to transpose the yes and no:: foreheadslap.gif