• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greggy's new CGC auctions!

204 posts in this topic

1) If the bids are so much lower than what it "should sell for" then why even enter the shill bid?

2) Would the book go for as much without the shill bids? If "No", then no need for them. If "Yes", then the shill bids artificially hiked the price.

Would genuinely like an answer to these questions.

1) It's fun to bid! acclaim.gif

Maybe I should have called'em "Thrill Bids"... gossip.gif

2) Yes. If the two highest bids are $100 and $105 then the book will go over hundred dollars. All the bids between $1 and $99 become irrelevant.

By your theory, one should ever put up a $500 book at a $1 opening bid because all those $10, $20, $50, and $200 bids should never be made.

I don't think there's anything dishonest about a "shill" bid if the bidder is committed to buying the book if they happen to end up being the winner. That's the nature of an auction, yes? The winner should pay for the book, regardless of whatever that winner's personal motives are for placing the bid. If, however, there's an undisclosed agreement between the shill bidder and the seller that they need not be obligated to pay for the book if their bid comes out on top, that's another matter entirely.

popcorn.gif

Sorry Greggy - this is not an emoticon issue. It is a real issue. Feel even closer to it now that I have my year's sub to GP.

OK Pov, I'll give you a honest answer before I resort back to my graemlin nonsense.

Personally, I believe that the phrase "shill" is being used way too much on these boards and therefore, people have lost some sensitivity to the word. I'm sure if some of the people who say that they have shilled for me or ask people to shill for them openly would hate it if they were truly shilled up in an auction that they wanted to win.

Do I feel a lot of the small opening bids are thrill bids? Sure, but what do you want me to do with it? Cancel all the bids of forum members because I don't know their true motivations? The serious bidders on the boards may or may not win any of my books. It's not really my concern as long as they pay me.

Do I feel that some of the seller here actually have some of their buddies shill up their auctions? Sure, but that's a different matter and is clouded by the overuse of the shill phrase on the boards for better or for worse.

I get asked to look at people's auctions and bid on them occasionally. However, I won't bid on anything unless I really have an interest in it. Sometimes the bids are impulsive due to the fact that I know the seller's rep and grading ability but all my bids are made with full intention to pay.

In Ace's case, will he win any of my books or will his actions really affect the end? Who knows?

But...I do agree that the word "shill" is overused on the boards and therefore, has lost some of it's true meaning!

popcorn.gif

Sorry Greggy - this is not an emoticon issue. It is a real issue. Feel even closer to it now that I have my year's sub to GP.

OK Pov, I'll give you a honest answer before I resort back to my graemlin nonsense.

Personally, I believe that the phrase "shill" is being used way too much on these boards and therefore, people have lost some sensitivity to the word. I'm sure if some of the people who say that they have shilled for me or ask people to shill for them openly would hate it if they were truly shilled up in an auction that they wanted to win.

Do I feel a lot of the small opening bids are thrill bids? Sure, but what do you want me to do with it? Cancel all the bids of forum members because I don't know their true motivations? The serious bidders on the boards may or may not win any of my books. It's not really my concern as long as they pay me.

Do I feel that some of the seller here actually have some of their buddies shill up their auctions? Sure, but that's a different matter and is clouded by the overuse of the shill phrase on the boards for better or for worse.

I get asked to look at people's auctions and bid on them occasionally. However, I won't bid on anything unless I really have an interest in it. Sometimes the bids are impulsive due to the fact that I know the seller's rep and grading ability but all my bids are made with full intention to pay.

In Ace's case, will he win any of my books or will his actions really affect the end? Who knows?

But...I do agree that the word "shill" is overused on the boards and therefore, has lost some of it's true meaning!

893blahblah.gif

Thanks Greggy. But what gets under my skin is all the posts I see about shill auctions? Yes, shill has been overused but there it is - people still calling them shill bids.

But even more - if someone from HERE wants a book then bid on it the way they usually would. Otherwise, why jack up the price AT ALL?

THAT is my main issue. Why jack up the price at all? And why thumbsup2.gif them when they do?

popcorn.gif

OK. Who logged in on Greggy's account?

We all know he doesn't do *conversation*.

Donkey! Is that you?!? sumo.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

OK. Who logged in on Greggy's account?

We all know he doesn't do *conversation*.

Donkey! Is that you?!? sumo.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Mike Grell sure drew a nice Warlord! laugh.gif