• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx Appreciation Thread
4 4

767 posts in this topic

Hey there. I ended up getting two of the Maxx 1/2 in a box of comics for Christmas. One is the purple foil variant. The other is the exact same issue, but with no writing on it at all. It has the same cover art of the Maxx 1/2, says it is the Maxx 1/2 issue on the left corner, has the same certificate of authenticity in the back of the comic, but does not say "The Maxx" or "Wizard Presents" in any way. I cannot find anything about this particular version of it, and some people I have talked to think it might have been a manufacturing error and was never printed with the purple foil on it. Does anyone know the value of something like this, or if a collector would be interested? Any information on this comic would be great. Thanks all.

20190107_164414.jpg

Big ups to TXReplicant for selling me his #1 Black ashcan.  Super dude.  10/10 would do business with him again.

Just need one more...

if anyone wants to loosen their grip on a Black #3, let me know. 

470A7D90-69B6-4D89-BA73-47D69B903239.jpeg

0C01FCAE-4BB3-47C5-848E-8CDF752BA638.jpeg

On 5/31/2019 at 11:11 AM, baslug said:

Big ups to TXReplicant for selling me his #1 Black ashcan.  Super dude.  10/10 would do business with him again.

Just need one more...

if anyone wants to loosen their grip on a Black #3, let me know. 

470A7D90-69B6-4D89-BA73-47D69B903239.jpeg

0C01FCAE-4BB3-47C5-848E-8CDF752BA638.jpeg

very nice ! trying to piece these together is a mission and a half. i've only been able to find a blue # 1 and a red #1 so far. the rest don't come up as much, and when they do they tend to be when im tight with cash that week or something lol

Anybody think is it worth grading both the gold and platinum mini comics that came from wizard? i kind of want to but not sure if it's worth the moolah.

The last 7 issues of this were very hard to find at a fair price.  I finished my run about 7 years ago finding issue 32 and 33 about to be put in a 0.50 bin at half priced books.  It must have been fate, the worker was put the yellow stickers on a stack off comics.  I saw the Maxx ones in the stack, I was shocked that it had a bunch of issues, of course of the 15 issues the first 13 were all below issue 30... then, 32 and 33!  So I paid a $1 a piece so the $0.50 yellow sticker didn't get put on the covers.  A great day in comic collecting for me.  

I have a Maxx 1/2 with no foil printing on it. I sent itout to cgc to get graded. I just got it back today and saw they labeled it a universal grade. I thought it would be a qualified grade do to the fact there is no foil printing on the cover. So I went to the census to check it out turns out they put it in its own category labeling it wizard presents the Maxx. Instead of putting it with the other variants of this cover. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why they would do this and get any thoughts on if this will effect thevalue of the book good or bad. Thanks

IMG_20190614_163327.jpg

On 6/15/2019 at 6:14 PM, Airmomo said:

I have a Maxx 1/2 with no foil printing on it. I sent itout to cgc to get graded. I just got it back today and saw they labeled it a universal grade. I thought it would be a qualified grade do to the fact there is no foil printing on the cover. So I went to the census to check it out turns out they put it in its own category labeling it wizard presents the Maxx. Instead of putting it with the other variants of this cover. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why they would do this and get any thoughts on if this will effect thevalue of the book good or bad. Thanks

IMG_20190614_163327.jpg

i would THINK that they didn't notice it perhaps? you could always call and let them know. i submitted a signed book to them a few years back with it COA, i figured it was going to get a green label, which means qualified. they ended up sending it back to me with a universal label. let's be honest they can and do mistakes  it happens.

2 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Sounds like he’s just producing. Too early to tell. I don’t see this really working as a live action movie though. Should be animated like it was on MTV’s Oddities.

Have it on DVD and I agree with you. It could be done well with a lot of CGI, but acting it would probably be a nightmare for any veteran.

I always wondered why Maxx seemed to do so well animated, but Spawn was really lacking. I just didn't like it as much

I remember buying bootleg dvd’s on eBay with the originally aired content which differs slightly from the official home releases that came on VHS, DVD, Amazon Video and iTunes. I’d rather they just remaster the original show in HD than make a new movie.

19 hours ago, Oddball said:

I remember buying bootleg dvd’s on eBay with the originally aired content which differs slightly from the official home releases that came on VHS, DVD, Amazon Video and iTunes. I’d rather they just remaster the original show in HD than make a new movie.

I don't, I'd rather have a finished animated series, or even just a movie that encompasses the comic book. Ol' Sammy boy is absolutely terrible with finishing pretty much any project he starts that doesn't conform to his timelines. I think I read it in his blog that he knew the show was rushed, and he absolutely hated doing it.

I think the show was perfection as it contained the opening and best parts of the 35 issue run.  Don’t quote me but I think the show covers the first twelve issues. Much of it was a page for page translation. The story gets sloppy later in the run. The animated series ended on a high note.

Edited by Oddball

23 hours ago, Oddball said:

I think the show was perfection as it contained the opening and best parts of the 35 issue run.  Don’t quote me but I think the show covers the first twelve issues. Much of it was a page for page translation. The story gets sloppy later in the run. The animated series ended on a high note.

Yeah that was pretty much it. They basically cut issues 14-33 right out. Barely a hint of Sarah and definitely no character development of her.

Hey Ball,

What do you make of that 1/2 there? Pretty neato, never seen that before. I really wish there was a way to date that particular book. Like is that a error from a purple batch, or gold? Hell, you think it could be a missing Red or Blue?

30 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Hey Ball,

What do you make of that 1/2 there? Pretty neato, never seen that before. I really wish there was a way to date that particular book. Like is that a error from a purple batch, or gold? Hell, you think it could be a missing Red or Blue?

Really have no idea but like RMA said, it just missed the foil stamp process. Doubtful it was a red or blue. But no way of knowing for sure.