• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx Appreciation Thread
4 4

767 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Oddball said:

By the way, a member here is auctioning off an original Maxx cover. I’d be all over it if not for bad timing.

Maxx Auction

Nice, thanks for sharing.

I've decided I only want a couple of OA pieces, mainly the issue 3 ashcan original and one of the OA covers from the original series. I highly doubt theyll come out for sale any time soon

Can anyone help me?

I'm curious as to how many black ashcan #3 there are recorded and how many blue and red darker image test prints.

As far as I am able to ascertain there are 2 reds out there in the wild, 6 blues and 5 black #3.... is this correct? Does the census here actually reflect properly on what people collecting these have in inventory? I've tried to reach out to the #1 census holder here, but no response

On 12/20/2019 at 8:51 PM, IkewithMike said:

Can anyone help me?

I'm curious as to how many black ashcan #3 there are recorded and how many blue and red darker image test prints.

As far as I am able to ascertain there are 2 reds out there in the wild, 6 blues and 5 black #3.... is this correct? Does the census here actually reflect properly on what people collecting these have in inventory? I've tried to reach out to the #1 census holder here, but no response

I can't speak to the DI test prints since it was never my cup of tea, but I think you're right about the Black #3 - 5 recorded copies.  I've kept a spreadsheet to log every time I've seen a unique Maxx ashcan (all colors) over the last 10 years or so and that's the count I have.  The numbers (and CGC grades) are: 2 (9.2), 7 (9.4), 10 (7.5), 13 (8.5) and 16 (ungraded - not on the census).  

There's a rumored sixth one - Grails here on the forum, in another dead thread, swore up and down he knew a guy in Nevada who had one, but was denied requests for a photo or scan, so there's no proof. 

On 1/25/2020 at 10:37 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

You sure...? hm

Pretty sure.  I think this is the one Grails said he knew of but we never got a photo of.  My spreadsheet has the number listed, but has a note that it’s only hearsay - I’ve never seen a photo of it.  Four are slabbed and on the census and there’s one more raw copy that Diogenes showed us in 10/2018. 

Edited by baslug

1 minute ago, baslug said:

Pretty sure.  I think this is the one Grails said he knew of but we never got a photo of.  My spreadsheet has the number listed, but has a not that it’s only hearsay - I’ve never seen a photo of it.  Four are slabbed and on the census and there’s one more raw copy that Diogenes showed us in 10/2018. 

No, this is definitely not the one I saw. This ones cleaner. Its been a few years and I don’t even remember the number of the other one. I recall some silver smearing of the ink and that’s about it.

24 minutes ago, Oddball said:

No, this is definitely not the one I saw. This ones cleaner. Its been a few years and I don’t even remember the number of the other one. I recall some silver smearing of the ink and that’s about it.

Well, then.  Awesome.  So, we’re up one more then.  

1 hour ago, baslug said:

Pretty sure.  I think this is the one Grails said he knew of but we never got a photo of.  My spreadsheet has the number listed, but has a not that it’s only hearsay - I’ve never seen a photo of it.  Four are slabbed and on the census and there’s one more raw copy that Diogenes showed us in 10/2018. 

Would you be so kind as to share your spreadsheet? That would be awesome 

4 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Yes, that would be cool. I thought someone had posted one once in the Maxx Black 3 thread. I can’t even find that anymore. 

4 hours ago, baslug said:

Well, then.  Awesome.  So, we’re up one more then.  

6 down, 44 to go. :D

I don't even want to think how many were just thrown out. That's how I got the ten #2s, by the way: they were going to be thrown out, and Jimmy Jay scooped them up to sell for $1 each at the local Shrine show in Los Angeles....circa 2001? 2002? Couldn't have been much later than that. Their mom was still alive at that point. Peach of a lady, that one. 

17 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

I might. Let me clean it up some and make sure it’s clear of any PPI. I’ve got a pretty busy week, so I may not get to it soon, but I’ll try. 

11 hours ago, baslug said:

I might. Let me clean it up some and make sure it’s clear of any PPI. I’ve got a pretty busy week, so I may not get to it soon, but I’ll try. 

Well, here you go.  I managed to work on it here and there throughout the work day.  I tried to eliminate any personal identifying information (sorry if I missed any).  I also decided to remove sales price data since I still have several books to sell.  Also, don't hang me... it's a Word document... I never got around to transferring it to Excel... whatever... I'm the only one who's been using it the past 10+ years

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=77278855636627643222