• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx Appreciation Thread
4 4

762 posts in this topic

@baslug I stumbled across this thread and your brilliant spreadsheet while Googling for some old Sam Keith artwork. I have a couple of things you can add to your spreadsheet - notably a Black no.2 Ashcan. It’s #12.

Sam Keith was one of my favourite artists back then and I loved The Maxx so I picked up as much rare stuff as I could (and could afford) at the time. Among which were a no.1 Blue ashcan (number 859) and a no.2 black ashcan. Pic below:

36E61BCA-41E5-4D8E-87A7-FF106335D016.png

On 3/14/2020 at 6:30 PM, iszisz said:

@baslug I stumbled across this thread and your brilliant spreadsheet while Googling for some old Sam Keith artwork. I have a couple of things you can add to your spreadsheet - notably a Black no.2 Ashcan. It’s #12.

Sam Keith was one of my favourite artists back then and I loved The Maxx so I picked up as much rare stuff as I could (and could afford) at the time. Among which were a no.1 Blue ashcan (number 859) and a no.2 black ashcan. Pic below:

36E61BCA-41E5-4D8E-87A7-FF106335D016.png

Dude.  How wonderfully thoughtful of you.  Thanks for sharing!  #humansbeingbros

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Just saw a blue and red 1/2 pop up on ebay, is the seller here?  I almost hit the floor when I saw the asking price!

Hey, that’s my old SS 9.8 Blue! I guess I should have held out for $40,000. 

5 hours ago, Grails said:

I can't quite put my finger on it, something just doesn't seem right, maybe it's the asking price higher than the yellow label AF15!  

15 hours ago, Grails said:

I just noticed another thing, The Maxx is giving the finger to whomever pays 40k for this book!  lol

Just picked up a copy of Primer 5 yesterday.  It was in a bag behind Primer 4.  Was talking to some guy at the table who saw it first.  He said he was too lazy to look behind, and pay up the princely sum of $2 for a nice VF/NM copy.

59 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Still astounding how much graded copies of Maxx go for, not to mention the ashcans and other oddities 

Very short supply, but also very short demand.....aside from speculators, how many people actually care about these books?  Not that many.  That wizard 1/2 test book is a complete farce, why anyone would pay 1 or 2k for something published by Wizard is beyond me!  For the buyer's sake, I really hope no one pays more than a few k for those books, unless you want to take on the risk of maybe having to sell it down the road for a colossal loss. 

4 hours ago, spreads said:

Very short supply, but also very short demand.....aside from speculators, how many people actually care about these books?  Not that many.  That wizard 1/2 test book is a complete farce, why anyone would pay 1 or 2k for something published by Wizard is beyond me!  For the buyer's sake, I really hope no one pays more than a few k for those books, unless you want to take on the risk of maybe having to sell it down the road for a colossal loss. 

Not so much who printed them but rather how rare they are, I suppose. More than 1k for anything Maxx is absurd in my mind

1 hour ago, IkewithMike said:

Not so much who printed them but rather how rare they are, I suppose. More than 1k for anything Maxx is absurd in my mind

The Maxx ashcans, to me, have a certain level of credibility since they're published by Image.  They're a unique item, really meant for the fans.  The Wizard 1/2, (a publication that's hard a large influence the speculation of comics) just seems like a manufactured collectible to me (and I've owned multiple 1/2 golds in my life).

On 6/8/2020 at 6:02 PM, spreads said:

The Maxx ashcans, to me, have a certain level of credibility since they're published by Image.  They're a unique item, really meant for the fans.  The Wizard 1/2, (a publication that's hard a large influence the speculation of comics) just seems like a manufactured collectible to me (and I've owned multiple 1/2 golds in my life).

I'd agree with you but:

• For *years* before the run-up in the ashcans, Maxx 1/2 gold and Glow-in-the-Dark # 1 were the only Maxx books worth money. and
  • As a huge Valiant fan, the one X-O Manowar book that eluded me for years was 1/2 gold. I know own 5 copies. I both acknowledge it is a manufactured collectible and consider it canon to X-O vol. 1