• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx Appreciation Thread
4 4

762 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Grails said:

Nice! Was this on eBay? I seem to recall it on Sam’s blog, maybe a Hero Initiative auction? Congratulations, it’s a wonderful piece.

yeah,  they auctioned it off to help local comic shops that were affected by the shut down. 

On 11/24/2020 at 10:49 AM, Jimmyj1 said:

I am looking to complete a whole set of the 12 maxx aschan. I have the blue #1 & #3 . So I have 2 of 12. Wish me luck and if anyone has any tips or leads ( other than the insane people trying to sell them for 3k on ebay) please let me know. Thanks.

Pretty ambitious of you. 

Id do my homework, start by reading this entire thread, the do a board search for maxx black ashcan.

After talking around, there are 5 definite sets and perhaps up to two more, and that's it. Out of a possible 50 sets that exist, after 30 some odd years, thats all that has been documented. 

5 complete sets, a possible one other.

Good luck, I think I've seen more wizard red test prints come to light than this ashcan set

Edited by IkewithMike

On 11/24/2020 at 11:49 AM, Jimmyj1 said:

I am looking to complete a whole set of the 12 maxx aschan. I have the blue #1 & #3 . So I have 2 of 12. Wish me luck and if anyone has any tips or leads ( other than the insane people trying to sell them for 3k on ebay) please let me know. Thanks.

Hey Jimmy. You are taking on a very daunting task. It took me 13 years to complete a set, and a lot of luck. 3k does seem like a lot, but the yellows are pretty rare, I think I've seen more blacks come up than the yellows. The yellows on ebay right now are high grade as well. It became kind of a passion to collect the set so if I needed one of those I would be tempted to pay that price because you might not see another yellow for years. Like Ike said, getting to a full set is going to cost you thousands due to the yellows and blacks. I've got some duplicates, mostly blue but there might be another color in there. I'll dig mine out and see what I've got but no guarantees it will be anything you need.

I do wish you luck, it was a fun journey for me. Have a lot of patience and be ready to spend some money.

27 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Pretty ambitious of you. 

Id do my homework, start by reading this entire thread, the do a board search for maxx black ashcan.

After talking around, there are 5 definite sets and perhaps up to two more, and that's it. Out of a possible 50 sets that exist, after 30 some odd years, thats all that has been documented. 

5 complete sets, a possible one other.

Good luck, I think I've seen more wizard red test prints come to light than this ashcan set

If it takes me 20 years the so be it, I have the patience. I will definitely post my progress on here. 

1 minute ago, Shaun03 said:

Hey Jimmy. You are taking on a very daunting task. It took me 13 years to complete a set, and a lot of luck. 3k does seem like a lot, but the yellows are pretty rare, I think I've seen more blacks come up than the yellows. The yellows on ebay right now are high grade as well. It became kind of a passion to collect the set so if I needed one of those I would be tempted to pay that price because you might not see another yellow for years. Like Ike said, getting to a full set is going to cost you thousands due to the yellows and blacks. I've got some duplicates, mostly blue but there might be another color in there. I'll dig mine out and see what I've got but no guarantees it will be anything you need.

I do wish you luck, it was a fun journey for me. Have a lot of patience and be ready to spend some money.

Ok thanks.

53 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

I'll add the rider, if you manage to get a set for less than 8 grand, let me know

If I could find a whole set for 8k i would buy it right now. Im sure it will cost more but i cant justify spending over 1k on just one version. Who knows maybe if I am close to completuon and need one more to complete it I would but yea, looking is all of the fun of doing this.

Edited by Jimmyj1
misspelling

22 minutes ago, Jimmyj1 said:

If I could find a whole set for 8k i would buy it right now. Im sure it will cost more but i cant justify spending over 1k on just one version. Who knows maybe if I am close to completuon and need one more to complete it I would but yea, looking is all of the fun of doing this.

You're going to spend 3 to 5k just getting a black 1 or 3. Like someone said, the yellows are rare, but they pop up. The Black 1 there are 8 i think and 3s there are only 5. There were 6 to 12 Black 2s I think. I'm saying this all second hand and what I've read. Someone complied a list awhile ago

On 11/30/2020 at 5:37 AM, IkewithMike said:

You're going to spend 3 to 5k just getting a black 1 or 3. Like someone said, the yellows are rare, but they pop up. The Black 1 there are 8 i think and 3s there are only 5. There were 6 to 12 Black 2s I think. I'm saying this all second hand and what I've read. Someone complied a list awhile ago

Yes but those numbers are the known ones to us here on these boards. There are more out there, just sitting in a box buried in the back of someone’s garage. Possibly thrown out as well but every few years a black seems to pop up on eBay. I’ve seen people start the ashcan quest here (including me) only to lose interest and begin more easily attainable goals. Oh, and a note to the gentleman here I sold my black #1 AP to some years ago, I’m always willing to buy it back.

Just now, Oddball said:

Yes but those numbers are the known ones to us here on these boards. There are more out there, just sitting in a box buried in the back of someone’s garage. Possibly thrown out as well but every few years a black seems to pop up on eBay. I’ve seen people start the ashcan quest here (including me) only to lose interest and begin more easily attainable goals. Oh, and a note to the gentleman here I sold my black #1 AP to some years ago, I’m always willing to buy it back.

Your AP isn't the only one, as we've also found out.

Point being, the CHANCES 44 black 3s are sitting in some moldy boxes somewhere, is pretty slim. Extremely slim.

Extraordinarily slim.

But hey, to each their own, of course.

7 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Your AP isn't the only one, as we've also found out.

Point being, the CHANCES 44 black 3s are sitting in some moldy boxes somewhere, is pretty slim. Extremely slim.

Extraordinarily slim.

But hey, to each their own, of course.

I agree, I don’t believe 44 are out there. Maybe ten though. And even those ten may not see the light of day. As for the Black AP’s out there, I’m only willing to buy the one I owned previously and no others. I remember reporting there were more AP’s before a second ever surfaced because I could see the AP outline residue on the back of my copy.

Edited by Oddball

On 11/24/2020 at 12:49 PM, Jimmyj1 said:

i will tell you this..... be prepared to wait for a deal to pop on on majority of these. i started the task myself a year or so back and still haven't gotten them all yet. some of the prices you see online for even the blue versions are ridiculous. one guy is trying to $400 for  blue #2 currently. the yellow versions and black versions do pop up but they're in that pricey range. you should also try to find the wizard ashcans as well. the gold and platinum ones. platinum ashcans rarely come up and when they do, they're snatched up quickly.