• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx Appreciation Thread
4 4

762 posts in this topic

I found a blue #2 and a red #1 got them both for $225 the ones on ebay are ridiculous. I understand that they are rare but not a single one has sold in months. Maybe the high prices are not justified since it seems there is a very low demand for these. Anyone who wants them I would recommend going to flea markets and comicbook shops. I found mine at a local flea market.  

21 hours ago, Jimmyj1 said:

I found a blue #2 and a red #1 got them both for $225 the ones on ebay are ridiculous. I understand that they are rare but not a single one has sold in months. Maybe the high prices are not justified since it seems there is a very low demand for these. Anyone who wants them I would recommend going to flea markets and comicbook shops. I found mine at a local flea market.  

I sold my set of 11 years back because I felt the prices then were high enough I could part with them.  Yes, some of them are insanely rare, but very low demand and I wonder how much of it speculative-driven?  There was a time long ago when no one cared about these.....ask RMA.....

Edited by spreads

On 11/24/2020 at 11:49 AM, Jimmyj1 said:

I am looking to complete a whole set of the 12 maxx aschan. I have the blue #1 & #3 . So I have 2 of 12. Wish me luck and if anyone has any tips or leads ( other than the insane people trying to sell them for 3k on ebay) please let me know. Thanks.

1) Good Luck.

2) Some more free advice:  I've been picking up ashcans since 2004 but didn't start seriously hawking down a set until 2010.  I finally finished Dec 2019 when I bought out a boardie's full set in order to secure the Black #3 and finish it.  Not to mention explaining to my wife why I was putting thousands of dollars into some comic books.  FWIW, I was able to sell off most of the doubles and makeup what I spent on the set.  Do your research to know what a good price is (I kept a spreadsheet tracking every book I've seen - book #, CGC grade, date, price, seller, buyer if possible, location, and any other notes).  And know that you'll probably have to buy/sell a lot of doubles in order to get the books you need/want.  But in my experience, it works out.  By my count, I'm only in $1020 net on the full set purely bc I've been able to sell the doubles and makeup the cost.  If you only ever buy the books you need for the set, you're going to be in for quite a bit more. 

On 11/29/2020 at 8:37 PM, IkewithMike said:

You're going to spend 3 to 5k just getting a black 1 or 3. Like someone said, the yellows are rare, but they pop up. The Black 1 there are 8 i think and 3s there are only 5. There were 6 to 12 Black 2s I think. I'm saying this all second hand and what I've read. Someone complied a list awhile ago

By my count, there have been 9 Black #1 sightings (3 APs), and 6 Black #3s.  Someone by the handle Pandama(Ebay)/Panda17(board) introduced a raw copy of each (#1 was an AP, #3 was numbered 9) in early 2019 when they were tasked with selling off their late brother-in-law's collection.  But nobody's proudly shown them off since then, so I don't know who ended up with them or if that #3 completed anyone's set.  

Edit: I looked again and saw Pandama introduced 2 Black #1s - one was an AP and the other was numbered 27... as well as the Black #3 

Edited by baslug

On 1/10/2021 at 1:42 PM, Jimmyj1 said:

If you don't mind saying, what are the marked numbers on the ashcans you found? awesome you were able to score those at a flea market! 

39 minutes ago, baslug said:

1) Good Luck.

2) Some more free advice:  I've been picking up ashcans since 2004 but didn't start seriously hawking down a set until 2010.  I finally finished Dec 2019 when I bought out a boardie's full set in order to secure the Black #3 and finish it.  Not to mention explaining to my wife why I was putting thousands of dollars into some comic books.  FWIW, I was able to sell off most of the doubles and makeup what I spent on the set.  Do your research to know what a good price is (I kept a spreadsheet tracking every book I've seen - book #, CGC grade, date, price, seller, buyer if possible, location, and any other notes).  And know that you'll probably have to buy/sell a lot of doubles in order to get the books you need/want.  But in my experience, it works out.  By my count, I'm only in $1020 net on the full set purely bc I've been able to sell the doubles and makeup the cost.  If you only ever buy the books you need for the set, you're going to be in for quite a bit more. 

By my count, there have been 9 Black #1 sightings (3 APs), and 6 Black #3s.  Someone by the handle Pandama(Ebay)/Panda17(board) introduced a raw copy of each (#1 was an AP, #3 was numbered 9) in early 2019 when they were tasked with selling off their late brother-in-law's collection.  But nobody's proudly shown them off since then, so I don't know who ended up with them or if that #3 completed anyone's set.  

Edit: I looked again and saw Pandama introduced 2 Black #1s - one was an AP and the other was numbered 27... as well as the Black #3 

Pandama is actually the late Lebowskis mother in law. Those released books were his.

8 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

Pandama is actually the late Lebowskis mother in law. Those released books were his.

Oh no. I didn’t realize.  Sad either way. Just didn’t realize it was a boardie. 

On 1/10/2021 at 2:42 PM, Jimmyj1 said:

i was looking at a blue # 2 on ebay. the guy wants $400 for it. i laughed because  blue # 1 i bought for $40. blue # 3 i bought for $100.... i made him some reasonable offers, he then got upset and blocked me. no idea where some of these sellers are coming up with these off the wall prices. im a paitent man. i can wait for a deal.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:51 PM, RearAdmiralSwank said:

I'm going to get these graded 

The gold and regular mini 2 are absolutely flawless, although I'm sure cgc will find something 

20210225_070834.jpg

you need to try and find the platinum one. i bought one several years back and never saw another again.

17 minutes ago, Gabagool said:

i was looking at a blue # 2 on ebay. the guy wants $400 for it. i laughed because  blue # 1 i bought for $40. blue # 3 i bought for $100.... i made him some reasonable offers, he then got upset and blocked me. no idea where some of these sellers are coming up with these off the wall prices. im a paitent man. i can wait for a deal.

you need to try and find the platinum one. i bought one several years back and never saw another again.

There's a blue 2 right there....

As for the platinum, I'm not holding my breath. I'll keep my eyes out, but they are quite rare

2 hours ago, RearAdmiralSwank said:

There's a blue 2 right there....

As for the platinum, I'm not holding my breath. I'll keep my eyes out, but they are quite rare

i found mine a couple years back. you probably can still see the pic of it a few pages back. but it was at least 2 or 3 years ago.

3 hours ago, whetteon said:

Beautiful. I have a few of these myself. Does anyone even care about these? :)

I like it.  Real problem is supply is high.  3 1st appearances is nice, though who cares about Bwulf.

Patrick