• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Griff's Don Winslow Journal by Saum02

89 posts in this topic

My oddball adventures of collecting GA Don Wislow Books

So After much thought and searching I decided to narrow down my focus to a single Golden Age type of book. I took the time to read different books from nearly every Genre. Jungle, Was Hero, Funnies ect. I knew i wanted something i could find relatively cheaply and something that i might even be able to pick upa pedigree run for "long term"

That in mind I decided to Collect Don Winslow of the Navy books ! Why you ask? well I enjoyed the stories I have read so far. It has a flair of War era books, Hero Books and some great covers to boot :)

I started off the year by picking up a nice crowley for 50 bucks !

15030.jpg

See more journals by Saum02

Originally the plan was to just pick up the 73 issues from that run.

Today I was able to pick up another book that is Don Winslow focused

"but not from the Don Winslow of the Navy run".

Picked this up this morning .

hu54bk.jpg

Who is Don Winslow, was he a character someone created or are the comics modeled after a real person? Any idea why there are no creator names or notes of issue significance? Love this GA stuff...long before my time, but definitely appreciate the history. Thanks for sharing!

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

The Wiki

The History of Don Winslow of the Navy

To me its fun how much this one character Spanned the public culture both Pre and post world war 2.

He was in a serial radio program, had a short TV career and they even made a few movies of him. Here is some Americana about Don WInslow

Here is a link to one of his radio serials "sponsored by Post Toasties lol "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dXxcsUrhPU

There is the fan club pin from back in 1943 "i believe this is the correct date"

20h25hh.jpg

The Secret Code Book !

16gaibc.jpg

All good golden age character's need a Pep pin and here is Don's

10zv9qv.jpg

Some serial Lobby cards and such from the movies radio and TV

m90mzd.jpg

x5dqn7.jpg

Here is one of the Books of Don

9gbyb8.jpg

And if that wasn't fun enough stuff. His Arch Nemesis was a Pistol Packing Pirate Peach "say that 5 times fast" named Singapore Sal

and here she is :)

21981as.jpg

128031-74474-singapore-sal.jpg

They even brought him back for the Iraq war !

e65106.jpg

Maybe it just speaks to me because I am a navy Vet :)

Great info and pics! So I get the feeling Don is like the Little Orphan Annie character (radio show, pin, codebook, etc.) except he's more geared toward boys. Or maybe I've just watched A Christmas Story too many times. :)

Part of it was Surfer. He was a big time recruiting tool for the navy in the pre-WW 2 build up through the end of the war.

and they used every trick in the book to get young men interested :)

Love the idea! I guess I am the same, in that I know that I can't afford to collect a bunch of super expensive things from the Golden Age, so I have to limit myself to a handful of things. I like the Don Winslow concept. Good luck!

Every now and than we get lucky on E-bay. Following advice of boardies here I stopped looking at auctions ending soonest and started looking at new auctions.

That change in tactics yielded results !

These arrived in the mail today. honestly im thinking about CGC'ing the since they are so nice :)

I've got to get a Better pic of this 47. I really only bought it for a reader copy. Its the First appearance of Don's nemesis "Singapore Sal"

2me3fpv.jpg

And

3494g3m.jpg

Well another week of auctions has come and gone, unfortunately for me I missed out on a few Don Winslow's again.

The biggest one I had hoped to pick up was the church copy of Issue 51. This is the first cover appearance of Singapore Sal "

and second overall appearance". One of my personal grails. I bid all I had but came up short :( Sometimes pocket books dictate

letting go of a dream book /sigh

Here she is in all her glory.

2j48zut.jpg

I may never see that book again and that certainly bums me out. I just hope she is going to a good home and will be loved and appreciated

and not just stuck in a box and checked off on a sheet. Grats to the winner on a truly great book.

I'm actively bidding on a few other DWotN books wish me luck. Oh and I'll post my latest pickups as soon as I can

Marty trust me when I say your copy is better than the one I have :)

Ill get a replacement copy soon just waiting for a non outrageous priced one to come up for sale. mine is coverless and torn. I don't know who won the Church copy of that #51 "wasn't me" but I doubt we will see it for sale again soon.

Well I didn't win that Church 51 but here is an interesting consulation prize.

The Aussie version of the same book :) !

120jh1v.jpg

Oddly they don't have color inside. but that just makes it cooler to me :)

5yvxxi.jpg

289fvp4.jpg