• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Griff's Don Winslow Journal by Saum02

89 posts in this topic

I've been working on a Don Winslow of the Navy wall with my presentable Raw comics. I was thinking of having a center piece be a BW ink 11 X 17 Artist Commission

I really have no idea who to contact for the piece and I posted in the original art section . I would Prefer to deal with a Artist that frequents the board here but it isn't a requirement.

I just want them to be good at pin-up art style.

As for the piece itself Im thinking WW2 pin up art. I always liked the girl riding the bomb pics on nose arts "here is an example'

bomber-girls-pinup-picture-640x634.jpg

and the subject will of course be Singapore Sal :)

Im thinking of a mix of the Zoltan piece with Classic Sal floppy hat riding a bomb

I'm open to artist suggestions & concepts for the work if you have any let me know :)

It's hard to pick up cool stuff when you are broke, but occasionally the lord shines down on us :) I just picked up this badboy for 1 dollar :)

Its the kit that came with the squadron of Peace medal :)

14lsrw6.jpg

2vwfx1l.jpg

27yd1f8.jpg

It's hard to pick up cool stuff when you are broke, but occasionally the lord shines down on us :) I just picked up this badboy for 1 dollar :)

Its the kit that came with the squadron of Peace medal :)

14lsrw6.jpg

2vwfx1l.jpg

27yd1f8.jpg

:applause: This is truly FANTASTIC! :applause:

mm

Well Reno Comicon has come and gone :( I was lucky enough to pick up a few Don Winslow's there. all readers. The foreign ones are in really great shape but over all no slabbed or high grade copies to be had. "Probably a good thing as I am a poor man these days Lol"

I Submitted my copies of 47 & 31 for grading at CGC. I hope they come out around 6 - 6.5 area ! "Wish me luck"

Here are those 2 books pre-turn over to CGC

3494g3m.jpg

54ss3s.jpg

Here is the Don Winslow Haul !

DSC_0185_zps04eefc57.jpg

DSC_0184_zps0db15f01.jpg

r0bh38.jpg

DSC_0186_zpsdcbb3b82.jpg

DSC_0189_zps927b9162.jpg

1zoj5gz.jpg

DSC_0187_zpsd9e25f17.jpg

Here are the Foreign DWOTN that I picked up

ifv1vk.jpg

23wwwf6.jpg

20ij9c2.jpg

Thanks Tele :) that's the first appearance of Singapore Sal "Don's nemesis" I sure hope it comes back 6.0+ Oh and If you remember a couple years back you sold me a couple Black Terror books. those also went out for grading since I had 2 free grading's left :) Ill let you know what they come back as :)

Great thread - I love it when someone has a slightly offbeat interest and really goes for it. :applause:

I collect war bonds and stamp covers, so I'm in the market for a DWOTN 27. I already have #17:

Don_Winslow_17_zpsfa52d954.jpg

Thanks Mark. :)

Well the 2 DWOTN books I subb'ed at Reno con have gotten grades, and I am pretty excited :)

they both fit in my grade range and I see they even put the note on for Singapore Sal's first appearance !!!

2cnc9oz.jpg

Woohooo !!!!

AJD the Church copy of that #17 was just auctioned "Of course I was one of the under bidders". did you get it?

Nope. Not me. I was the underbidder on the Crowley copy at Heritage a couple of years back, but I'm happy with presentable midgrades usually.

Well my first full year of collecting Don Winslow of the Navy books has come and gone. I want to thank all my Boardies here for the

support and encouragement as I set out to try and put together a full run at 6.5 or higher :)

So without further adieu, I guess its time to do my year in review !!

My top 5 books of the year

#5 on my list would be DWOTN #9 I purchased from our Boardy Paratrooper :) the book that started it all !

2cxztpt.jpg

#4 on the list would be the first appearance of Singapore Sal. Bought for a

whopping 8 bucks on E-bay "and on its way back from CGC as a graded 8.0"

24w57yd.jpg

#3 on my list would be this Crowley checking copy of #43. Purchased from

the Big cat himself :) "thanks again my friend !"

nmym20.jpg

#2 has to be my favorite Singapore Sal cover in the whole series. The Crowley

copy & the Highest graded copy of issues #60 !! Bought from the Big cat again ! :)

2hx53cw.jpg

#1 has to be this one. Its not the highest grade but it IS the first time my wife

has expressed interest in anything comic related. this was her Christmas

present to me "Thanks again Straw-Man for the hook up !"

2pzxm3b.jpg

The one that got away

The church copy of #51 eluded me. my pockets simply were shallow when it

came up for auction. :( Its the first cover appearance of Singapore Sal

29q084i.jpg

Best deal of the year

Would Deff have to be the original DWOTN handbook That i picked up for a buck.

Honestly how often do you get to pick up something golden age that fits in your

collection for 1 dollar !!

24q1ksx.jpg

Coolest foreign Books

#1 Would have to be this Aussie version of DWOTN 51. The shipping cost me more than the book did :)

2gxmvb6.jpg

I also picked up nearly half the run in raw form. most books for under 10 bucks

a piece !!! "good thing too as some one has been buying the out the ones on E-bay lately"

Coolest piece of Esoteric related merchandise

These salt and pepper shakers of Don Winslow and his Side kick Red :)

"or will be the coolest when UPS finally delivers it !"

24cslc2.png

Goals for next year.... Find copies of issues 10,51,70,72, &73 that would grade out at 6.5 or better :)

Sell my X-men off to pay for this ! and have fun while I'm doing it :)

Wish me luck :)

Griff