• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Comic Shops in Boston

5 posts in this topic

I'll be taking my family vacation in Boston this summer (next years is Europe :banana:) and am wondering if there are any good comic shops in the Boston area. My preference is for shops with a good back issue inventory from the 80s and earlier. I also wouldn't mind visiting a shop with dollar boxes.

+MA'>Yelp Reviews

Most area stores are generally good. One of the New England Comics shops has a larger gold/silver room. Plenty of good stores outside the city as well if you want to travel.

FYI I don't consider Newbury Comics a "comic store" so much as a pop-culture store. If you want back issues it's not the place to look.

I'll be taking my family vacation in Boston this summer (next years is Europe :banana:) and am wondering if there are any good comic shops in the Boston area. My preference is for shops with a good back issue inventory from the 80s and earlier. I also wouldn't mind visiting a shop with dollar boxes.

Boston is a fairly small city so if you plan on staying in Boston proper, there really isn't many stores to choose from.

1. Comicopia tends to cater to the University crowd so you'll see lots of current issues, TPB's, and Indy titles. Very little in the way of back issues.

2. Newbury Comics - is NOT a comic shop. While they do have some Graphic Novels, TPB's and new comics, their main focus seems to be DVD's, T-Shirt, and pop-culture related items

If you're willing to venture to Cambridge, there's the Million Year Picnic, near Harvard. Its a small space (cramped, actually), but they have a good selection of pre-1980's back issues that are reasonably priced. They also have a great selection of back-issue magazines (Warrens, Mad's, Marvels,etc), along with an extensive inventory of graphic novels, Indys, UG's, TPB's, etc. Some T-shirts and toys, too.

Finally, there's New England Comics, with multiple locations in the greater Boston area. Although all locations carry some back issues and wall books, the Quincy location has a Gold/Silver/Bronze age room with numerous long boxes of goodies, and several $1 bins elsewhere in the store.

Good luck and happy hunting!

If you're willing to go to Salem, they have Harrison's, a large, entertaining store with discount bins of pre-80's material up front, and a good selection of keys displayed in the back. They have magazine bins with multiples of everything. The only knock is that the post-80's back issues are expensive, which you won't mind. Plenty of statues, art books, vintage paperbacks, and video games.

While you're there, there's a recreation of the dungeon from the time of the witch trials, and Ye Olde Pepper Candy Company, chocolate and candy maker in business since 1806.

There is also Comicazi with two locations, one in Davis Square, which is in Somerville just outside Boston, the other in Arlington, a little further out. I've only ever been to the Arlington shop, and that was a few years ago. Not a huge selection of back issues, but not tiny either. Tons of action figures. Maybe someone else with more extensive/more recent experience can weigh in.