• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics with more valuable 2nd+ Prints or #2 issues

39 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2019 at 9:20 PM, cortown71 said:

Spidey 569 

Thanos imperative 2 and 3

OP indicated "regular cover" which I'm reading as the same cover art. Otherwise, the second prints of the first issues of Valiant's relaunch have different cover art that go for much more, since the numbers are lower.

I remember in the late '80s/early '90s when G.I. Joe #2 was going for more than the first issue.

I think the answer to the "why don't second prints go for more since they have lower print runs?" question can be best explained by the fact that there wouldn't be a second print if the first print wasn't popular enough to justify it. That becomes the book to have because the reprint is accessible to all since it's on the radar ahead of time. If the collecting mentality was to grab the reprint, that would also sell out, requiring another reprint, which would go through the same process, again and again, until we were all out of money hoarding a single book.

Spider-Man 2099 v1 #1 has the biggest price jump I know of from 1st to 2nd prints.

To a lesser extent:

Amazing Spider-Man 362

Morbius (2013) #1

theres more I can’t think of...

14 minutes ago, Joosh said:

Spider-Man 2099 v1 #1 has the biggest price jump I know of from 1st to 2nd prints.

To a lesser extent:

Amazing Spider-Man 362

Morbius (2013) #1

theres more I can’t think of...

SM 2009, while has been sought after over the years, is temporary spike at the current time.

ASM #654 2nd Print has big difference as well.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:51 AM, ygogolak said:

SM 2009, while has been sought after over the years, is temporary spike at the current time.

ASM #654 2nd Print has big difference as well.

I did not even know this existed as a different looking cover rather than some "second print" indication on the interior. I have an old overstreet on my desk (2005) at work, it mentions it, but it is the same $2.25 price as #2. 

I find it mind boggling that there was even a second print. A billion copies of the first print were sold. But I guess that wasn't enough back then.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I did not even know this existed as a different looking cover rather than some "second print" indication on the interior. I have an old overstreet on my desk (2005) at work, it mentions it, but it is the same $2.25 price as #2. 

I find it mind boggling that there was even a second print. A billion copies of the first print were sold. But I guess that wasn't enough back then.

How many printings did Star Wars go do a couple years back and the first print was the highest in a decade or more.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

How many printings did Star Wars go do a couple years back and the first print was the highest in a decade or more.

But I don't see those SW #1s in my dollar boxes. I was getting Spidey 2099s cheap pretty soon after release (I know, Wizard still said they were worth $5. whatever) Anyway, the white 2099 cover actually looks pretty snazzy.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Spider-Man 2099 v1 #1 2nd printing came way later than 1st. Published in 2001 and only available packaged with a Toybiz Spider-Man 2099 action figure. They are made on cheap paper stock without the red foil  and commonly damaged in the packaging, as well as the process of opening the packaging.

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

But I don't see those SW #1s in my dollar boxes. I was getting Spidey 2099s cheap pretty soon after release (I know, Wizard still said they were worth $5. whatever) Anyway, the white 2099 cover actually looks pretty snazzy.

Well, true. SW isn't in $1 bins. But the variants are. And that's why the print run was so high. There were about 100 variants for that one.

12 minutes ago, Joosh said:

Spider-Man 2099 v1 #1 2nd printing came way later than 1st. Published in 2001 and only available packaged with a Toybiz Spider-Man 2099 action figure. They are made on cheap paper stock without the red foil  and commonly damaged in the packaging, as well as the process of opening the packaging.

OK, that answers the question. I think I read that previously, but am apparently brain damaged and forgot about it.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Well, true. SW isn't in $1 bins. But the variants are. And that's why the print run was so high. There were about 100 variants for that one.

I haven't seen the variants in $1 bins, but to be honest I have not been going to shows and the 5 or 6 shops I frequent have a limited selection.