• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics with more valuable 2nd+ Prints or #2 issues

39 posts in this topic

With the demand for both Black Science #2 & the fourth print of Sex Criminals #1 pushing prices up, my friend and I were pondering a few questions:

1) How many titles have their most valuable issue be a non-first-print-#1 regular cover (excluding variants like RRP, FP, etc.)?

2) Why doesn't this phenomenon happen more often? #1 2nd/3rd+ printings as well as #2 issues are usually far more rare than the #1 first prints, and yet it's the #1 first prints that usually command a premium.

I know the "1st appearance" aspect means a lot to collectors, but with print run knowledge becoming more available due to the internet, is anyone anticipating a shift in the market for these more rare issues?

I actually started a thread on this type of topic awhile back for moderns/copper books. There is also several now in copper focusing on Marvel and DC books respectively. My thread here has been relegated to the dusty corners of the forum I guess.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6650690&fpart=1

For moderns, outside of a few rare exceptions, I doubt second and later printings will be more valuable than the first printing.

The reason why Copper second (and later) printings, as well as high-grade Newsstand and Canadian Newsstands, are desirable/fun to chase is because there was an ungodly number of first prints/direct editions sent to market that they are fairly easy to come by today.

The second and later printings were produced in much lower quantities, and the newsstand books that escaped being pulped were, for the most part, rifled through in spinner racks, rendering many of them in VF/NM- condition.

Edited by awakeintheashes

For moderns, outside of a few rare exceptions, I doubt second and later printings will be more valuable than the first printing.

The reason why Copper second (and later) printings, as well as high-grade Newsstand and Canadian Newsstands, are desirable/fun to chase is because there was an ungodly number of first prints/direct editions sent to market that they are fairly easy to come by today.

The second and later printings were produced in much lower quantities, and the newsstand books that escaped being pulped were, for the most part, rifled through in spinner racks, rendering many of them in VF/NM- condition.

6.0 or worse...fixed that for ya

6.0 or worse...fixed that for ya

lol true. I was being too generous.

With the demand for both Black Science #2 & the fourth print of Sex Criminals #1 pushing prices up, my friend and I were pondering a few questions:

1) How many titles have their most valuable issue be a non-first-print-#1 regular cover (excluding variants like RRP, FP, etc.)?

2) Why doesn't this phenomenon happen more often? #1 2nd/3rd+ printings as well as #2 issues are usually far more rare than the #1 first prints, and yet it's the #1 first prints that usually command a premium.

I know the "1st appearance" aspect means a lot to collectors, but with print run knowledge becoming more available due to the internet, is anyone anticipating a shift in the market for these more rare issues?

You jumping the gun way too fast on these books. These books havent been out a month or more yet. Look back in a few months and look were they sit.

You jumping the gun way too fast on these books. These books havent been out a month or more yet. Look back in a few months and look were they sit.

+1

+1

+1

I sold my extras ASAP. Doubt they are selling like they used to for that one week, haven't check ebay recently.