• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing odor from stinky comics?
4 4

84 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, kav said:

In the book 'surely you're joking Mr Feynman' Richard Feynmann discovered you can smell when a book has been handled.  I did it myself-a bookshelf with a bunch of paperbacks that havent been touched in a while, you tell someone to take one out and flip thru it when you leave the room.  Then you come back and smell the books and find the one he handled.  All the books smell musty then the one that was handled has no smell.  From this I deduced that rubbing hands on comics will loosen up and help remove smell particles and I have done it with several extremely mustified comics and desmellified them. 

colol thanks! Good to know ;) 

giphy.gif

On 1/15/2014 at 2:43 PM, sd2416 said:

get two containers, make sure one will fit inside the other.

load the larger one up with charcoal. put the smaller container inside the larger one

put book(s) inside the smaller container.

put lit on the larger container, closing everything up.

leave for a few days.

The carbon for fish tanks is used for makeshift air filters, you can find it at the pet store

On 1/16/2014 at 10:09 AM, cheetah said:

Ozone is also a strong oxidizer. I would assume it could seriously damage the paper and staples.

Ozone is a VERY powerful oxidizer.  Please do not use ozone on your comic books.  In fact, don't use it unless you really know what you are doing just in general.

Ozone can BLEACH the dye out of leather, you can turn a black white couch into a light grey couch if you aren't careful.  It can also seriously damage your lungs.  those "ionic breeze" shaper image fans and anything that has the word "ion" in it, are ozone generators.

Ozone is O3 which unlike Oxygen at O2 is extremely unstable, that third oxygen molecule wants to bond with something, anything, to stabilize itself, so you end up with oxygen and an oxide of whatever it bonded with.  This is great if you want to get cigarette smell out of a hotel room, or skunk out of a garage since it bonds to the smell and alters it at the molecular level, but not great on anything with inks/dyes. 

I know this is an old thread, but at one point I ran a small business doing odor removal of homes/hotel rooms/cars so I know a little bit about this and would hate for anyone in the future to see it as a suggestion, dust off the ol' Ionic Breeze and think this would work without damage.