• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9 Indie Comics That Would Be Great TV Shows

40 posts in this topic

I surely see Vertigo as an indie sub-section of DC as a whole. Usually some of my favorite reads have been Vertigo titles, though I'm ashamed to say I've never read Hellblazer or Preacher to name a couple.

Also would love to see We3 as a movie. I loved that book.

I consider Vertigo to be indie affiliated with DC like Icon is indie affiliated with Marvel. Marvel MAX is not indie, just their "mature" line.

...and Locke and Key would be an awesome TV series, set it up as seasons coinciding with the volumes in which it was released.

I look at Vertigo as DC dependent because their biggest characters exist in the DCU. It was also created as a mature line not in step with the CCA.

Sandman, Wesley Dodds, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Constantine/Hellblazer, Animal Man, Deadman, DoomPatrol, etc. are DC legacy characters. Some of them have even been JSA or Justce League members. I can see the indie perception for everything made after 2010 like the Wake or Trillium as it is mostly creator owned but the old stuff is still DC or at least I thought it was. Serious question. Does BKV own Y or does DC ?

I look at Vertigo as DC dependent because their biggest characters exist in the DCU. It was also created as a mature line not in step with the CCA.

Sandman, Wesley Dodds, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Constantine/Hellblazer, Animal Man, Deadman, DoomPatrol, etc. are DC legacy characters. Some of them have even been JSA or Justce League members. I can see the indie perception for everything made after 2010 like the Wake or Trillium as it is mostly creator owned but the old stuff is still DC or at least I thought it was. Serious question. Does BKV own Y or does DC ?

True.

Clearly DC and Vertigo have established themselves as two different entities which cater to different readers. Vertigo functions differently to DC not just with the content but on marketing.

Trillium is an interesting choice. Based on the series so far, I'd peg it as a movie, rather than TV show.

Also, I think it's important to see if it finishes strong before talking about it as a media property. I trust Lemire, but who the hell can tell where the story is going next at this point?

Yeah, Trillium and Wake seem more like movies than ongoing TV shows. Sex Criminals may even do better as a movie due to content (of course, there's always HBO).

The Massive seems like a good basis for a TV show. A lot of scenes are on the ocean (ship, oil rig, etc) so production costs wouldn't be crazy. Of course it's a post-apocalyptic tale and that topic is more popular (or played out (shrug) ) than ever.

we should change the title to:

"9 Indie Comics That You Are Hoarding and Want to Capitalize On"

:jokealert:

but seriously, why only 9? I wouldn't be mad if they made faithful attempts to bring one (or maybe two) titles to movie/tv per year from now until the end of time. Emphasis on faithful.

Having just finished reading the first trade (1-6) of Planetary for the first time recently, I wholeheartedly agree. I was blown away, really. I had no preconceived notions about the series, and in fact, have been on a non-superhero bent lately. I can't wait to read the rest of the series now. Excellent concept, storytelling, and art.